Tutorial- Speedpainting Zombies
Tim and I decided to run a large scale game of The Walking Dead: All Out War at next week's Tabletop Minions Expo (come see us there!), and I decided this would be the perfect excuse to paint up all 33 Walking Dead zombie models I own. I decided to speed paint them to make sure I finished them in time, and to challenge myself.
So many zombies!
I started by priming them black using Vallejo Surface Primer through my airbrush. I then, added layers of grey and white in a zenithal highlight pattern. The original plan was to do these zombies using inks and washes, so the zenithal highlighting would be a huge time saver.
I did a quick light grey layer on all the zombie flesh, and then inked it using Winsor Newton plum ink.
I ended up base coating most of the clothes, using simple colors. I used grey and brown washes over the base colors. I handled hair the same way.
gore areas got a pink base coat, and a soft black wash to help show details.
Bases got a coat of Liquitex Resin Sand texture, and a sloppy grey base coat. After the base color dried, I did a heavy black wash on the base. The idea was to give it an asphalt like color/texture, to keep them looking nice on any battlefield. The base edge was done in black.
I picked out some minor details like belt buckles, or police badges to help some minis pop. At this point, they were given a nice heavy coat of matte varnish.
Next up- GORE! I used Tamiya Clear Red for the first time. It was easy to use. I put some on my palette, and waited 30 seconds or so. This paint is super weird and starts to clump up sort of like clotting blood. I used an old brush to stipple it on to the models. Laying it on pretty heavy is fine for this step. After it is on the model you can go back and stipple it again to add some texture. It dries quite bright, but the next step tones it down a bit.
I added a second layer of Tamiya Clear Red, but this time mixed with a little Winsor Newton black ink. The ink darkens the red without affecting the transparency.. I stippled this on the outer edges of the blood pools, and in some other places as well. I let it get really thick and clumpy and added a bit of that also.
And that's it! All told, it took me around 5 and a half hours to complete all 33 zombies. They are not fancy, but the gore really helps them to stand out on the table. They look super gross!
Enjoy some more pics: