Cancer Benefit for Brian Stuchell- This Saturday!!
Hi everyone! We hope to see you at Greenfire Games, 4811 W, 95th Street in Oak Lawn, IL this Saturday!
This post serves as the final official schedule and event details. At the end, there will be a list of our previous coverage, including links to all the raffle prize previews.
Our friend Brian, one of the co-owners of Greenfire Games (one of our favorite game stores!) has been diagnosed with cancer in his jaw. In the words of his friend, and Greenfire Games co-owner, Mike:
For the last year, Brian has been instrumental in building a close community of players and collectors at Greenfire Games; the tabletop game store he opened in 2016. In the last few weeks, everyone in the community was shocked to learn that Brian was diagnosed with cancer in his jaw.
In order to keep the cancer under control, his surgical team recommended removal of the left half of his jaw. Brian's surgery took place on August 2, 2017. The lower left half of his jaw bone has been replaced with a metal piece, supplemented by bone and skin from his chest and leg.
The next step will be a round of chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Once the treatment has ended, Brian will go into his next surgery to graft the healthy tissue from his leg.
Furthermore, as the owner of a small business that is still inside it's first year, Brian does not currently have health insurance. He has applied for state aid, but it has yet to be fully approved. In addition to Brian's medical leave, his fiance Michelle, who also works at Greenfire Games, will be taking some time off to help take care of him.
We are organizing a benefit to help raise money to cover his hospital bills, and keep him going during this difficult time.
- 10AM-12PM X-Wing Tournament
- There is a $5 buy in. All proceeds go to the benefit fund. 60 pt. teams, 30 minute matches.
- 12PM-6PM Main Event
- There will be raffles, demos, paint and take, a bake sale, and live music. More details below...
- 12:30PM-1:30PM The Paulsen Bros. band will be performing.
- 1PM-3PM Captain Pancakes will make an in-store appearance.
- 2PM-3PM Jake Pallisard of Frequilibrium will be performing
- 3:30PM-4:30PM The Underclass will be performing
- 5PM-6PM Large raffle drawing
- 7PM-12AM Magic Ixalan pre-release tournament- $30 buy in
We will have the following demos available:
- Frontline No Komrades
- Song of Blades and Heroes
- Shadow War: Armageddon
- Arena Rex
- Test of Honor
- Broken Contract
- Guild Ball
There will be a paint and take station. The cost is $1 per mini (all proceeds go to the benefit fund). Sit down, and have a relaxing paint session. CSW members will be on hand to give a lesson if you've never painted a mini before.
The bake sale will have a variety of delicious items. All proceeds will go to the benefit fund.
Additionally, Jersey Mike's next door will be donating a portion of their profits during the benefit, so stop in there and get a tasty sandwich!
There will 2 raffles, with $1 and $10 tickets.
- $1 tickets will be drawn approximately every half hour. Prizes will be randomly selected from the prize pool.
- $10 tickets will be applied to specific prizes that will be on display behind the counter, so you can choose the prizes you would like to win. We will draw all these starting at 5PM.
- Please make sure your name and phone or email is on the back of each ticket so we can contact you if you win. You do not need to be present to win.
Here is a prize gallery. This is only a selection of prizes. We have lots more to win!
We hope to see you there!