Runewars: Painting Daqan Part 2- Spears and Cav Ready for Dipping.

Learn how to do stuff!
Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

I made some strong progress this week on the Runewars "Daqan" faction that I'm painting up. As I mentioned in the post about assembly , Tim and I traded the armies from two boxed sets so I have a double portion, including the 32 Spearmen, and 8 Oathsworn Cavalry featured in this post. The point of this project is to get all 44 miniatures painted as quickly and cheaply as possible to an acceptable tabletop standard that will look great from 3 feet away, aprox the distance from the figs to the eyes of someone standing next to the table. First, all the ...

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:23 am

So many troops, that would take me eons. Looking good so far. That sand mix does come out nice. The brand of floor finish I use is Holloway House Quick Shine floor finish, since I can't seem to find future near me, it's cheap. Works great as a wash, but leaves things glossy. (I believe it's just an acrylic medium anyway.) I matte varnish as an endpoint so it doesn't matter much.

For metal paints, I swear by these:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/val77702 ... DQodGtwNfA

I think when I bought mine they were on clearance for $5, but I was pretty amazed. Their airbrush application is pretty magical, and they work well on a brush. Two words: USEABLE GOLD! :)

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Runewars: Painting Daqan Part 2- Spears and Cav Ready for Dipping.

Postby Eilif » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:50 pm

gattz wrote:So many troops, that would take me eons. Looking good so far. That sand mix does come out nice. The brand of floor finish I use is Holloway House Quick Shine floor finish, since I can't seem to find future near me, it's cheap. Works great as a wash, but leaves things glossy. (I believe it's just an acrylic medium anyway.) I matte varnish as an endpoint so it doesn't matter much.

For metal paints, I swear by these:

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/val77702 ... DQodGtwNfA

I think when I bought mine they were on clearance for $5, but I was pretty amazed. Their airbrush application is pretty magical, and they work well on a brush. Two words: USEABLE GOLD! :)

Thanks,
These guys are coming out even faster than usual, because I know if I slow down I'll lose enthusiasm for the project. Dipped the whole army this weekend. Will have another blog up soon when they are all done.

Cool paints. A nice gold does sound intriguing. As for future, I think it's now called "Pledge" with "with future clear" in smaller letters or something like that. I'll keep an eye out for Holloway though I've got a long way to go before I'll use up the bottle I have.

Let me know if you want some sand mix and I'll bring it to the next game you attend. Still got quite a few pounds of the stuff.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Runewars: Painting Daqan Part 2- Spears and Cav Ready for Dipping.

Postby timlillig » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:06 pm

These are looking really good, Karl.
-Tim

Return to “Tutorials”