Tutorial- The Great Naval Rebasing Project

Learn how to do stuff!
mpc2160
Wild Thing

Postby mpc2160 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:53 pm

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

About eight years ago I started collecting 1/3000 naval ships and painted them to what I thought was a satisfactory level. However, my hobby skills have improved over the years and I had several issues with the ships I completed. I also had a large number of ships that were never painted that I wanted to finish, so I decided it would be easier to redo the entire collection. The first issue I had with my finished ships was their bases. I chose a clear base for my ships because I didn’t want to deal with painting or sculpting water. At ...

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 03, 2017 6:37 am

Nice Work Mike!
How many ships have you rebased now?

mpc2160
Wild Thing

Re: Tutorial- The Great Naval Rebasing Project

Postby mpc2160 » Wed May 03, 2017 6:56 am

I actually don't know right now. I think I did around 1500 ships during that big push and I just managed to acquire at least another 500 to 1000. So it never really seems to end. After I get through this new batch I'll do a proper count...

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri May 05, 2017 10:38 am

They look really good and much improved, Mike. it's been great to see you getting better at painting since you started.

What games are you interested in using these for?
-Tim

mpc2160
Wild Thing

Postby mpc2160 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks Tim. I can mostly credit online tutorials for my improved painting skills. There are so many good ones out there now. As for rules, Naval Thunder is preferred for everything from around 1900 to 1945. We've played it once many years ago and it's a fairly simple system that feels right on the table. I also have Victory at Sea by Mongoose that works okay.

For modern games, I have tried Surface Battle Group and Naval Command. Neither one is too complicated which is often a problem with modern naval games. Authors of modern games tend to go crazy with systems and one game I played got so in-depth that I had to start my turn by adjusting voltage and steam pressure to all the major systems. That isn't a game in my opinion, it's a naval simulator.

Return to “Tutorials”