Tutorial- Speedpainting Zombies

Learn how to do stuff!
jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Wed May 31, 2017 5:51 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Tim and I decided to run a large scale game of The Walking Dead: All Out War at next week's Tabletop Minions Expo (come see us there!), and I decided this would be the perfect excuse to paint up all 33 Walking Dead zombie models I own. I decided to speed paint them to make sure I finished them in time, and to challenge myself. So many zombies! I started by priming them black using Vallejo Surface Primer through my airbrush. I then, added layers of grey and white in a zenithal highlight pattern. The original plan was to do ...

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 31, 2017 7:58 am

Looks great! This is probably the 4th generation of mass-painted zombies that CSW members have done and by far the most gory.

They look quite varried. How many unique sculpts are there?

jlopatin
Karled

Re: Tutorial- Speedpainting Zombies

Postby jlopatin » Wed May 31, 2017 8:55 am

Not exactly sure. there are a couple duplicates, and 3 of one particular model. Most of them are unique. It's a big selling point for the various upgrade boxes in my opinion. I think the duplicates all came from the "extra zombies" expansion.
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 pm

Mostly unique zombies is really impressive. Most games resort to multiples of just a couple sculpts. I still look back with a bit of embarassment at painting lord knows how many identical rubbery "Zombies!" figs. They served their purpose back in 2011 but I don't miss them and these are so much better.

Along with Tim's undead we've got to be close to 70 or 80 zombies now.

jlopatin
Karled

Re: Tutorial- Speedpainting Zombies

Postby jlopatin » Wed May 31, 2017 2:36 pm

I have 50 something painted, and maybe 100 more unpainted. (DAMN YOU ZOMBICIDE!!!!)
- Josh

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Wed May 31, 2017 9:00 pm

The blood effects look really nice in these pictures! I might have to look at some of this Tamiya clear red. :D

Return to “Tutorials”