Tutorial- Ridiculously Fast Terrain From Toys

Learn how to do stuff!
Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:57 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

I ran a little experiment yesterday to see just how quickly and easily I could complete some reasonably good tabletop-quality terrain. On the block were two items from my "Bin of Lost Toys".  With nearly all my terrain coming from used resale shop toys, I inevitably end up with some extras that don't exactly fit any current or upcoming projects so these became the guinea pigs for this post. They are the orange ship and yellow building in this shot of some of my cast-off terrain toys.   Prep! Both of these toys were made of a soft plastic, probably polypropylene.  When dealing with ...

jedthehomarid
Primed

Postby jedthehomarid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:31 pm

These look great Karl! Especially the ship. I'm picturing it lost in a post-apoc desert already!

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:15 am

This is awesome! Seeing some of your toybashing has me checking out toys on ebay and thrift stores on occasion, like I need more random stuff laying around, haha. Impressive work!

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Tutorial- Ridiculously Fast Terrain From Toys

Postby Eilif » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks guys,
Glad you liked them.

I was kind of thinking post-apoc desert when I made the ship also. I was a bit tempted to keep it for my post-apoc desert terrain but I've got so much now that it's time to be a bit choosy in what I add.

Watch out for the resale shop. Great source of terrain, but it can pile up quick!
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Tutorial- Ridiculously Fast Terrain From Toys

Postby Michael S. » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Hi Karl,
The ship looks great! I know it would look great in a dried up desert gaming table, but I think it would also look good as a post-apocalyptic craft sailing on water. I have a long range plan of making post- apocalyptic gaming scenery involving water craft and the ship would look good outfitted for this. You could possible design the piece to work in both settings.
Michael

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:58 am

Have to agree, nice work on all of it, but the ship especially came out very well. Looking forward to seeing it on the table-top.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:39 pm

Michael,
I feel the same way about the multi-setting of the piece. It's as useful on the water as in the desert. I've been taking a similar tack with almost all my terrain. For the past few years I've built my terrain on either no base at all or just a concrete pad. Doesn't have quite the same diorama look of based terrain, but it greatly increases the number of settings in which they can be used.

Thanks Jon,
The more I look at those pictures, the more I think that if I find another I'll buy it.

Return to “Tutorials”