AAR - Scrappers Game Report & Review

Here is where you will find our bat-reps, complete with photos!
PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

AAR - Scrappers Game Report & Review

Postby PatrickWR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:23 am

Hey guys, thought you might be interested in this game report and review of Scrappers, the new(ish) post-apoc game from Osprey. It was written by Bob Faust, author of Brink of Battle, and it's about as crunchy as you'd expect. But the good thing about it is that it supports fairly large warbands, like 5 to 15 guys per side, depending on which faction you choose. The wide-open unit creation system means you can stat up just about any figure in your collection. And it's got a really nice campaign system full of all sorts of random encounters and loot tables.

I did a full review on my blog here, including some input and feedback from my opponent in the game: https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2 ... nd-review/

And a few obligatory teaser photos:

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: AAR - Scrappers Game Report & Review

Postby timlillig » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:46 pm

That's cool, I'm glad you liked it. I only briefly flipped through the rules, and it seems like the rules are very similar to Brink of Battle, but much more clearly written.
-Tim

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Nice write up and pics! This book has teetered in and out of my shopping cart a few times now, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I kept hearing it likened to a "sci-fi Frostgrave", but in more in-depth reviews/batreps there is disagreement in the comparison. (Also, something I've heard with Rogue Stars...which is most definitely NOT sci-fi Frostgrave, haha. I wonder how the crunch compares, because Rogue Stars seems like a lot of sandbox elements to absorb up front, but plays relatively fluidly.)
I may have to give this a shot, as I like random weird events popping up and figuring out how to deal with them making the storyline more emergent.
Comparisons with This Is Not a Test or Wreck Age? Favored systems?

PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Postby PatrickWR » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:44 pm

gattz wrote:Nice write up and pics! This book has teetered in and out of my shopping cart a few times now, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I kept hearing it likened to a "sci-fi Frostgrave", but in more in-depth reviews/batreps there is disagreement in the comparison. (Also, something I've heard with Rogue Stars...which is most definitely NOT sci-fi Frostgrave, haha. I wonder how the crunch compares, because Rogue Stars seems like a lot of sandbox elements to absorb up front, but plays relatively fluidly.)
I may have to give this a shot, as I like random weird events popping up and figuring out how to deal with them making the storyline more emergent.
Comparisons with This Is Not a Test or Wreck Age? Favored systems?

It is definitely more playable and more accessible than Rogue Stars. In particular, Scrappers accommodates a bigger crew than Rogue Stars, which seems to cap at 4 models per side (barely enough to count as a wargame, IMO).

I'm afraid I don't have enough experience with Wreck-Age or TNT to offer a comparison. But Scrappers definitely has a strong campaign system, and the rules, while *very* thorough, seem pretty bulletproof in terms of consistency and playability.

Return to “After Action Battle Reports”