AAR- Song of Blades and Heroes With My Kids

Here is where you will find our bat-reps, complete with photos!
Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Last month I took my first stab at miniature wargaming with both of my children as I introduced them to Song of Blades and Heroes (SBH). They've never played a miniatures game with each other that did not have a board. Heroquest is a ton of fun, but it's a whole different experience when you trade spaces on a board for measuring sticks. Anthropomorphic Animals (played by son) and an Ent (a gift from Mike!)... ...Check. Animal Warband (played by daughter) with Adorable Squirrel Beastmaster... ... Check. Chicago Skirmish Dice in my kids' favorite colors.... ... Check. Classic Terrain setup...  Check!!! Let the battle begin! It was a simple ...

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:37 pm

This is awesome Karl!

Still a very nice setup, especially to stoke the fires of young player's imaginations.
The minis were also a fun choice.

(I think back to my early teens trying to learn and play 40K and WFB using pieces of packing foam and paper towel cardboard tubes, and it makes me realize how spoiled kids must be now with gamer parents. xD )

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:16 am

Thanks!
Really trying to gear their first wargaming experiences toward their interests and abilities. And of course attempting to hook then on painted minis and terrain.

Played our second game a couple nights ago but I didn't photograph it much. A co-op treasure hunt with randomly arriving Chaos troublemakers. Lots of fun.

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: AAR- Song of Blades and Heroes With My Kids

Postby Michael S. » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:38 pm

Hi Karl,
My grandson is nine years old and I started playing SOBH with him about two years ago. I started easy with him rolling dice and moving figures for adults playing the game. I also play G.W.s Kill Team with him. The game belongs to my son-in-law, his dad. He likes that one alot.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:04 am

Interesting that you mention Kill Team. At TMX, Howie and I participated a game of Grimdark Firefight. It's the Grimdark rules scoped to 5-10 minis per side. We enjoyed it quite a bit. We might actually use that for battling with the Stargrave squad he's been painting.

I've also got Shadow War Armageddon which I'm not sure is much better functionally but I like that it is based on Original Necromunda.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:07 pm

Hi Karl
I also like Shadow War Armageddon. I am open to playing that again.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:27 pm

I'd definitely be up for a one-off of Shadow War Armageddon in the future. I'm not sold on it for campaigns though. I'd rather just do Necromunda.

If anyone is interested, I've got a nice copy I'm about to put up for sale for Tim. Only $10!
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Return to “After Action Battle Reports”