AAR- First Try With Space Wierdos

Here is where you will find our bat-reps, complete with photos!
Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:13 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

[Karl and I recently (...um, -ish?) had the opportunity to try out a game of Space Weirdos. What follows is a brief (...um, -ISH???) AAR of how the game went.  THE BACKGROUND In the years before the outbreak of galactic civil war, Tanjarax IV held a lot of promise- at least in the eyes of orbital real-estate developers. The system was becoming a hyperspace crossroads with all of the key ingredients for a lucrative market: ready access to raw materials; a growing professional population with the budget and desire for luxury orbital accommodation (high above the hustle and bustle of the planet ...

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:47 am

This is a helluva writeup. Great visuals to go with the storytelling as well - I love seeing classic models still in use decades later.
I'm curious about the thoughts of the game system in the followup. I've played it (with classic GW Delaques on my side :)) and it's got some neat mechanisms but for some reason it didn't grab me as a go-to game with the glut of indie sci-fi skirmish systems out there now.

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Re: AAR- First Try With Space Wierdos

Postby Mattias! » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:38 pm

gattz wrote:This is a helluva writeup. Great visuals to go with the storytelling as well - I love seeing classic models still in use decades later.
I'm curious about the thoughts of the game system in the followup. I've played it (with classic GW Delaques on my side :)) and it's got some neat mechanisms but for some reason it didn't grab me as a go-to game with the glut of indie sci-fi skirmish systems out there now.

Thanks! Part II will go into a fair bit of detail, but the high level takeaways for me were 1. the two-polyhedral rolling system makes smooth probability curves, so it doesn't feel as swingy as some other games; 2. the under fire table has a lot of varied results that mean the action can go in a lot of different directions, which feels very exciting and characterful without adding much complication; and 3. the movement tracking system has some subtle but profound effects on how you make tactical decisions in the game.

Return to “After Action Battle Reports”