Mech Attack Game at Adepticon

Anything gaming related is fair game.
timlillig
Huemaster

Mech Attack Game at Adepticon

Postby timlillig » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:16 pm

Karl and my Mech Attack game at Adepticon this past Saturday went very well.

Karl, Mike C. and myself met at Games Plus to test our Little Wars scenario. Each side had two buildings to occupy with troops and two to destroy. Similarly, each side has four mechs, two tanks, two APCs, and four units of infantry. Our test saw mechs taking appropriately aggressive positions, attacking the tanks and covering infantry while making their way to the target buildings. The APCs each moved a unit of infantry toward its occupation goal and the remaining infantry tended to move from building to building, taking cover and the occasional shot at an available target. We didn't try to figure out a winner for this game, since we just wanted to make sure the concept worked and remind ourselves of the rules.

IMG_2489.JPG

IMG_2490.JPG

IMG_2491.JPG

IMG_2492.JPG

IMG_2493.JPG

IMG_2494.JPG

IMG_2495.JPG

IMG_2496.JPG
-Tim

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Mech Attack Game at Adepticon

Postby timlillig » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:23 pm

Here are the photos for the big game at Adepticon.

Here are the forces Karl and I brought for the big game. Most of this will be things you have seen before, but Karl and I each added some APCs and other vehicles.

IMG_2497.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

At the convention, we had three players signed up. The convention staff were pretty friendly at helping us set up, even when we had to shift the table a couple of feet, to comply with fire codes. At this point the table (actually four folding tables) were already covered with terrain. Our players and some helpful passers by helped to lift and move the tables.

Only one of the people who were signed up actually showed up, but we were able to recruit a couple of others to play along. It was also nice to talk to the folks who stopped by to look at Karl's great terrain and models.

IMG_2499.JPG

IMG_2500.JPG

IMG_2501.JPG

IMG_2503.JPG

The game at Adepticon played much the same as our test. In the end, the blue team (Maersk-Tesla) were able to get infantry to one of their targets, although it was killed off before the end of the game. They did destroy both of the other buildings. The green team (Neosoviets) occupied two targets and destroyed one. By the end of our game, most players were down to just one or two units.

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

IMG_2507.JPG

One of the blue players got first place and won a Bolt Action rulebook. One of the green players came in second and won a 40k Radio t-shirt. It was very cool of Adepticon to supply the prizes. Thanks, Adepticon!

I think that using infantry and vehicles was a good idea and could see using much more of them. Even though the alternating activation makes the game take a bit of time for each unit, anything that is not a mech goes much more quickly.

Looking at the two games, I noticed that our test game used fewer, larger buildings and relatively wider streets. I think this might be something to keep in mind for next year and maybe we can group the buildings together into larger blocks and double up some road sections. Other things that came up for future improvements included adding fliers, heavy infantry, light mechs, and making some wreck markers.
-Tim

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:47 pm

Looks like a great layout. The monorail is a great addition to the station terrain piece. Look forward to reading the description. Cheers!

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:43 pm

i agree, having a train in the station looks great.
-Tim

angron
Basecoated

Postby angron » Wed May 04, 2016 9:02 pm

That terrain is awesome! I'm stealing so many of your ideas. Especially what you did with the Dust buildings. Inspiring!

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu May 05, 2016 6:06 am

Thanks Angron,
Let me know if you have any questions about their construction.

If you want to get together and do some building let me know, I've got alot of bits, and it's been over a year since we had a club hobby day.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Return to “Let's talk about games!”