Frontiers. A boardgame waiting for miniatures?

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Frontiers. A boardgame waiting for miniatures?

Postby Eilif » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:20 pm

Hey Guys,
I picked two copies of the game Frontiers on a whim last week.
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/29078/frontiers
$6 was too good to pass up.
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/asmfron01us.html

I haven't played it yet, but I've read through it and watched the tutorial video at the boardgamegeek site. It seems like just the level of complexity that we like and it would be dead simple to use the cardboard units as unit cards at the table edge and put actual minis and terrain on the tabletop.

-It has a simple hidden orders system for unit activation using tokens
-No pen and paper bookkeeping and only one d6.
-Fast and simple yet, it seems to have enough stats and special rules to differentiate each unit.
-There's also a card system to add a bit of fog of war.
-2 factions included in the box

The game itself died, but there were two finished but unreleased expansions that are free to print and play that are also hosted at the Boardgame geek site. If we decide we like the game there's quite a bit of opportunity for expansion.

I have two copies of the game so I can provide enough supplies for both sides of two games. I'd like to give this a shot with our 10mm minis sometime. It could be a nice change of pace from our mech-based games, though it's probably roughly the same complexity level as Mech Attack.

Anyone willing to give it a go?
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Frontiers. A boardgame waiting for miniatures?

Postby timlillig » Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:24 pm

I would try it, but I would rather try it as it exists, rather than adding minis right off the bat. The introduction video makes it seem like the pieces are really nicely integrated with the rules.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:17 am

Much as I am loath to play a counter game at CSW, I'd be willing to give it a shot as-is to see how the rules run. Read through it again and downloaded a QRF for the abilities. It looks extremely easy to play/learn.

Technically it's still "painted" right....?
:lol:
-Karl

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:20 pm

We play other types of games all the time! If you feel squeamish, just play it any other day of the week.
- Josh

Return to “Let's talk about games!”