New Battletech Rulebook

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

New Battletech Rulebook

Postby Chivenger » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:38 pm

I got an email from Catalyst Games about the new Open Beta of the Battletech Battle Manual. I gave them my opinion and got my code. Then I saw they were charging $10 ($5 with my code) for the beta rules and then I would pay full price for the finished rules.

Then I read the comments and they were for the most part what you would expect.

So if you are a big Battletech fan, and I know we have a few here, you can take the survey here: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/prod ... ct-reviews

And buy the rules if you are so inclined. I am not sure how these compare to the Alpha Strike rules.

I would be curious to hear your opinion of charging for a Beta Test then paying full price for the finished product. I know we like to support independent creators and are happy to buy a ruleset and then give notes. But to have an established game company charge for a Beta and then to have to buy it again seems wrong.

jlopatin
Karled

Re: New Battletech Rulebook

Postby jlopatin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:13 pm

I agree. At the very least, discount the final rules by the amount you spent for the beta rules.

Big companies can get away with an awful lot.
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:56 am

I'm also not a fan of this price scheme. So is what they are saying that we are essentially paying a price for a sneak peek at the rules?

As for the rules themselves, I wonder if they much different than previous editions. Battletech rules new editions have usually been only incrementally different from the proceeding versions.

The upside is that nearly every book -asside from rulebooks- that has ever been published for BT is still valid. The downside is that it looks like I missed my chance to sell my "Total Warfare" Battletech rulebook.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:11 pm

Took the survey and read a bit about the Battletech Battle Manual. Still not buying the beta, but that's not surprising since Alpha Strike is the only BT game that I'm interested in playing.

What I'm seeing is that it's not a new edition and it looks like Total Warfare (anyone want to buy a copy?) is still being used but the Battle Manual is just rules from TW related to Mech Combat (no vehicles?) reorganized and reformated. I'm sure it will be nice for folks who get into the game without the "Introductory" set but don't want the full TW book.

What I wonder a bit about is the price point. Assuming this is a book like Alpha Strike it will probably be about $30 bucks. However TW is widely available new online for less than $40. Are folks going to want to pay a smidge less than TW for alot less content?
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”