An interesting article that backs up that CSW is doing things right

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

An interesting article that backs up that CSW is doing things right

Postby Chivenger » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:39 am

I keep trying to get back to the table to game with you. But with life, wife, and chairing a convention I have found it easier to get my gaming in playing X-Wing. I will be back eventually. And I will be working up some terrain I think you will find amusing.

A friend who used to work for a game company shared this article about not taking things too seriously and it reminded me about why I enjoy gaming with CSW. https://kaptainvon.com/2017/03/30/theor ... wargaming/

Chris Walton, who I don't know, posted a comment on the thread, "I've equated war gaming with food a lot lately - the random game against an unknown player at a shop or tournament is the equivalent of fast food. You don't have think about it and it will fill you up, but if it's all you eat it will kill you eventually.

The games I play with friends at home over nicely built terrain and with casual rules are the equivalent of a home-cooked meal made with love and time. They are to be savored and really enjoyed, but can't happen every evening.

Given the limits of time and the pressures of life, I choose to focus on the later rather than the former."

That got me thinking about how I spend my gaming time and money. Not ideally, but certainly gives me food for thought.

Thank you all for what you do and I suspect after the coverage from Adepticon, you will have quite a bit of interest in what you do.

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: An interesting article that backs up that CSW is doing things right

Postby timlillig » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:52 am

That's very nice to read, Terrence. Thanks for sharing. We don't always get to play those wonderfully crafted games either- we often just pick a game and say "bring 1000 points" but when we get a chance to make something fun of our own, it is a joy to play. As long as one person isn't always stuck doing the "cooking" it really invigorates the imagination.

On a separate note- when do you play X-wing? I wouldn't mind getting in a game of that and seeing a familiar face would help encourage me to show up.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Thanks for sharing the article Terrence. An interesting read. Sounds like the author is on the path toward CSW-style gaming.

More to the point, thanks for the kind words about CSW. I've been into miniatures since high school, but was only an occasional player before CSW. Finding a group of players who are all into visually beautiful gaming in a casual environment that emphasises fun and fellowship -instead of listbuilding and rules lawyering- has been a revelation made wargaming irresistable.

And of course if and when your schedule opens up you're always welcome at the CSW table.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Eilif wrote: visually beautiful gaming in a casual environment

Our new motto?
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:15 pm

timlillig wrote:

Our new motto?

I'd be fine with that.
It's captures the same essence but is certainly less clunky than the way I phrased it on the "about us" page.

Our goal for each meeting is for a casual environment (rules lawyers and WAAC gamers need not apply) in which to enjoy battles with painted toy soldiers on great terrain in the company of good people.
-Karl

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 pm

timlillig wrote:On a separate note- when do you play X-wing? I wouldn't mind getting in a game of that and seeing a familiar face would help encourage me to show up.

Tuesdays, TPK Gaming is running events. I have been once and would like to go back. This past Tuesday, they had a water leak and had to close.

Wednesdays, Pastimes in Niles does X-Wing. They also do a casual tournament the First Sunday of the Month. The lists may be a little meta built until after Worlds in early May. I am pondering this Sunday.

Gaming Goat in Oak Park has occasional tournaments. They have a facebook group.

My friend Don, who a few of you met, and I do TPK or could do home games if we wanted.

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Eilif wrote:
timlillig wrote:

Our new motto?

I'd be fine with that.
It's captures the same essence but is certainly less clunky than the way I phrased it on the "about us" page.

Our goal for each meeting is for a casual environment (rules lawyers and WAAC gamers need not apply) in which to enjoy battles with painted toy soldiers on great terrain in the company of good people.

After seeing the lavish detail of some of the minis at Adepticon, "beautiful" might be a stretch. Attractive? Visually interesting?

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:25 pm

Greenfire does xwing multiple evenings a week, and they have a fleet of store ships available to try out...
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:13 pm

Chivenger wrote:After seeing the lavish detail of some of the minis at Adepticon, "beautiful" might be a stretch. Attractive? Visually interesting?

Ouch! :lol:

I'd be fine with "attractive", but maybe it's just matter of the yardstick used?

Adepticon can be a hard standard to live up to but if we compare ourselves to the average game store's 40k or Warmachine night perhaps we can truthfully describe our game nights as "Beautiful".
-Karl

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:57 am

No disrespect. The stuff the group comes up with is cool. Just want to calibrate expectations.

I'm all about table ready.

Eilif wrote:
Chivenger wrote:After seeing the lavish detail of some of the minis at Adepticon, "beautiful" might be a stretch. Attractive? Visually interesting?

Ouch! :lol:

I'd be fine with "attractive", but maybe it's just matter of the yardstick used?

Adepticon can be a hard standard to live up to but if we compare ourselves to the average game store's 40k or Warmachine night perhaps we can truthfully describe our game nights as "Beautiful".

Return to “Let's talk about games!”