Poll of Gaming Interests and Attendance Availability. Please Respond!

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Poll of Gaming Interests and Attendance Availability. Please Respond!

Postby Eilif » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:08 am

Hey Folks,
It's become pretty clear that despite some recent new interest, CSW attendance has been shrinking over the past couple years. When we started the club we were fairly unified in interest. We played Song of Blades and Heroes, a bit of wastelands and occasionaly other games. Now meeting attendance has shrunk and it seems that the games members are intrested in has diverged/multiplied also, making it more difficult to put together gaming nights that attract the majority of members.

I'd like to do an informal survey to check members' and prospective members' gaming interests and their availability to see if CSW is reflecting the interests of it's members and if it can do better.

If you are willing, please answer the following.

1) What games are you currently playing?

2) Games you would be interested in playing at CSW?

3) How often you would be able to attend gaming on alternating Thursdays at member's homes? Would a different day be better for you?

4) What level of interest do you have in the following catagories of rules-lite, mostly generic (games not tied to a specific brand of figures) games that the club has played in the recent past?
-Generic fantasy such as Song of Blades and Heroes, Dragon Rampant and Kings of War, etc
-Sci-fi and Post Apoc such as: In the Emperor's name, Warengine, Nuclear Renaissance, Warpath, WreckAge, etc
-Mech Gaming like Mech Attack or Alpha Strike
-Other Genres like Sailing games, Space Combat, etc

5) What would make you more likely to game with CSW? Do you have any general suggestions for improvement?

6) Any other comments or reflections on your gaming and CSW?
-Karl

jlopatin
Karled

Re: Poll of Gaming interests and availability. Please Respond!

Postby jlopatin » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:44 am

- Josh

gattz
Details and Drybrush

Postby gattz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:11 pm

Sorry to hear you feel your readership is shrinking. I'm of the mindset that if you find it fun, keep doing it and it will attract others. This is a pretty niche hobby, within a niche hobby. ;)

My current minis interests: Frostgrave, Guild Ball, Arena Rex, Infinity, Halo Ground Command, RelicBlade.

I'm always open to try out more indy systems, but the player base for a lot of those gets tiiiiny, which means the chance to play them also shrinks. I own a bunch of Osprey books, so I'd be willing to try out Black Ops, Ronin, Rogue Stars, Dragon Rampant etc. SBH is interesting, I'd give it a shot, and own a rulebook, but sometimes systems that are too open (ie: too much character creation) winds up hampering things. I prefer some basic archetypes to get started, and let my character evolve through a short campaign. Frostgrave/Necromunda style. I own a ton of KoW stuff, backed a kickstarter a long time back. I'd try it, but large scale army games have become a bit unrealistic for me to handle (ie: paint). I'd much rather do skirmish level games, which are way more convenient. Also, getting in to TOO MANY systems is super draining. So I have to watch for that.

Games I'm interested in: Shadow War. Let's face it, GW is still a monster in the industry, and this is it's new baby. Models are easy to find, look great, and there will likely be lots of people playing this. I've got a bunch of 40k stuff that might be able to be repurposed as well. I should probably pick up the rules asap.
And I still need to explore Bushido some more.

I'm lacking a good post apoc skirmish game. I know you guys do Wreck Age, but it seems more rpg-like, which I'm not sure I have time for. Plus I'm not in love with the models. You guys would need to sell me on that. ;) I see Fallout is going to be made in to a minis game also, so that has a draw.

For space combat I have some Firestorm Armada stuff, which I should probably paint someday. Hah. It'll probably be abandoned by then though. Thanks Spartan! ;D

Mech games don't typically catch my fancy.

Schedule wise, some Thursdays/Fridays (every third) perhaps I could get out to game with you guys, or on a random weekend. Since you guys do every other, only even multiples of my Thursdays would work. I work a lot of nights, so it kills my social activity time. And I'm not exactly local. I am part of a board game group out in Merrillville, and they do all-days on a saturday once a month that I want to reserve for setting up miniature game demos, which you guys are always welcome to utilize.

Some recommendations: get on with the social media stuff! I do see you guys have a fb now, which is great. It's much easier to see that you've posted new content on there. Sign up on some local store pages and see about throwing events for games people have heard about/want to play. Advertise it a bit. Heck, have some paint/terrain jam sessions and just hang out. Again, if you're having fun and enthusiastic about what you do, that's the primary concern, others will follow.

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:47 pm

I think Karl meant attendance, not readership. Our readership is actually at all time highs, with some posts getting 1000+ views!
- Josh

gattz
Details and Drybrush

Postby gattz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:47 pm

Gotcha, replace "readership", with "attendance."

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up guys.
I didn't say readership or attendance, but I think "Membership" could be taken in various ways.I've clarified it to specify attendance.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Poll of Gaming Interests and Attendance Availability. Please Respond!

Postby timlillig » Tue May 02, 2017 11:09 am

Here are my thoughts:

I am not doing much outside of what is documented here.

I'd like to play more SBH, we have not done much of that lately. Some other games I'd like to get back to or try include Dragon Rampant, Rogue Stars, Tomorrow's War, Frostgrave, and Shadow War Armageddon.

I've also been thinking about painting up and playing some of the minis based boardgames I have, or at least having them available to play. I mean games like Zombicide, Heroquest, Warhammer Quest, Runewars, Dungeon Saga, and Aetherium.

3) How often you would be able to attend gaming on alternating Thursdays at member's homes? Would a different day be better for you?
Over this summer Tuesday or Wednesday would probably work better for me. I'd also like to get in an additional evening of gaming, maybe a different night on the off weeks and an occasional weekend too.

4) What level of interest do you have in the following catagories of rules-lite, mostly generic (games not tied to a specific brand of figures) games that the club has played in the recent past?
-Generic fantasy- Song of Blades and Heroes is my favorite and I would like to play more Dragon Rampant. I'm not that into Kings of War, but would try it or most other fantasy games- Relicblade, Frostgrave, etc... I generally end up comparing them to SBH or DR and wondering if I wouldn't rather play one of those two.
-Sci-fi and Post Apoc- Part of the trouble with this genre is that I'm interested in it, but don't play any one game regularly enough to get a firm grasp on the rules. There are several I'd like to play more of or try.
-Mech Gaming- I lump mech gaming in with larger-than-skirmish sci fi generally. I enjoy Tomorrow's War and Mech Attack. I'd be open to trying others. This is another genre that suffers from infrequent play even though I am interested in it.
-Other Genres- I'd like to figure out a good dungeon crawl game that I enjoy. I'd like to play Full Thrust, Galleys and Galleons, Rogue Stars,
-Tim

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Re: Poll of Gaming Interests and Attendance Availability. Please Respond!

Postby Chivenger » Tue May 02, 2017 3:55 pm

X-Wing Miniatures.

I am open to a lot of things if they are easy to pick up. I enjoyed SBH and Mech Attack. If Rune Wars became a thing, I would find an army.

Sigh. It's been crazy how I have not been available for a Thursday for quite awhile with the move, wedding, and other things. Not sure what would be better. But maybe Wednesday ?

I'll rate my interest from 1st to last.
-Mech Gaming like Mech Attack or Alpha Strike
-Generic fantasy such as Song of Blades and Heroes, Dragon Rampant and Kings of War, etc
-Other Genres like Sailing games, Space Combat, etc
-Sci-fi and Post Apoc such as: In the Emperor's name, Warengine, Nuclear Renaissance, Warpath, WreckAge, etc

Don't know why, but the Apoc games don't capture my imagination.

5) What would make you more likely to game with CSW? Do you have any general suggestions for improvement?
Me having fewer commitments would make me more available to game with CSW. I would play more if I didn't have quite so much going on. Since the every other Thursday does not appear to be working, maybe a Wednesday from time to time to see how that works for folks? Some friends and I were playing pick up tourneys at TPK on Tuesdays, but that is just a tough night for us. We are trying a Wednesday in a couple of weeks and seeing how that goes.

6) Any other comments or reflections on your gaming and CSW?
Really enjoy the posts and look forward to gaming again with you in the not too distant future.

Return to “Let's talk about games!”