The Broken Contract Rule Set

Anything gaming related is fair game.
xnickbaranx
Game Designer

The Broken Contract Rule Set

Postby xnickbaranx » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:59 am

Showdown "boss fight" between some Breakers and a Prod Gen-Mod.

Hey all! I'd like to introduce you all to Broken Contract, the rule set, setting, and miniature range that I've been working on for the last 2 years. In Broken Contract we fast forward a few hundred years into the future where national borders and identity finally gave way corporations who are working to colonize the stars. One no longer identifies as a citizen of a nation, but as a worker contracted to the corporation they serve. For most the only thing worse than being worked to death, is the only alternative: to be left to die in the wastes of some partially terraformed backwater planet without the food, water, or air "generously" provided by the corporations.

Currently I'm focusing in on one little microcosm of this dystopian future, to the iron rich planet of Hathor, currently under lease to the FerrumSky Corporation, an iron conglomerate that mines iron ore, refines steel, and builds the glittering domes that dot countless colony worlds at the expense of other corporations. The mines are a hellish place, populated with workers from all over the expanse of space, driven to meet unrealistic quotes while working 14, 16, even 18 hour days under some of the most dangerous conditions. Deep underground life is brutal, short, and miserable, and many believe it doesn't have to be this way. Some believe they can either flip the script on their masters and some others feel that taking a shot at escape is worth the risk of death, just to have the experience of living free, for however short that life might be.

The mines are a dangerous place with their close quarters, ledges, fissures, and the tension between the Breakers and Prods.

The principle factions at the moment are Breakers (escaping or revolting miners) and Prods (security officers) but the setting is poised for expansion well beyond those confines. ;)

More than just another game of combat, I wanted Broken Contract to be a game of action and adventure, like Necromunda cranked to 11 with nods to RPG's. Broken Contract is a miniature skirmish game with dive rolls, leaps, thrown enemies, and sometimes thrown barrels or friends! I also wanted it to be more social than the standard 2 player wargame dynamic. Each model is assigned it's own Initiative Order through numbered cards and Action Points can be spent during that Initiative Order or can be used to Interrupt Actions of acting characters. This means you can play an 8 player game with each player having autonomy and interaction, without lengthy turn gaps. At the same time, you can still play 2 players and each turn will keep you both completely engaged.

Some of you have demoed the game before, but if you want to look a little deeper at the rules, the current playtest rules are available for free download. The current incarnation has been stripped of the background material for easier adaption to whatever models or intent one might have though they have not been playtested outside of the closed confines of the mines I have built.

You can check out the rule set here. It's a 21 page PDF. Give it a read and/or a try and let me know if there are any areas that could be better explained. I'd love to have some extra eyes on it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxm3jt25wl27hve/Broken%20Contract%20RULES%20ONLY%20VERSION%2009.02.15.pdf?dl=0

Mid-game shot taken by playtester Matt Wirth at the charity event at Brainstorm. The components pictured are a mix of completed graphic design and mock-up prototypes.

Also, Josh, Tim, and Matt all have models and stat cards coming in the next month or so from the Kickstarter I ran in April, and Josh and I have talked about me coming down from Milwaukee to play the game with you all as well at some point. So give it a look over if it sounds interesting.

Thanks for reading and thank you for the support CSW!
-Nick
Broken Contract Design Blog: http://brokencontract.blogspot.com

Return to “Let's talk about games!”