Sci-fi rulesets I would like try to out

Anything gaming related is fair game.
PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Sci-fi rulesets I would like try to out

Postby PatrickWR » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:50 pm

I had a good time playing Cleared to Engage last month, and it got me thinking about a couple other rulesets I am interested in trying out.

- This game sort of seems like "Tomorrow War Lite," in that there are strong squad mechanics and a reaction system, but it doesn't seem to bog down the way TW sometimes can. Also the game is very well supported.

- Actually marketed as "sci-fantasy," this is a measurement-free game that is designed to recreate stuff like Thundarr the Barbarian, Masters of the Universe, maybe Star Wars, Rogue Trader 40k ... basically any game with ostentatious armor, energy swords and laser rifles.

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Sci-fi rulesets I would like try to out

Postby Eilif » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:20 pm

I'm planning on really going into Warpath as a way to get my 40k armies back on the table, both the platoon skirmish and "Mass Battle" versions. However, it doesn't come out until Sept 2016 and I'm up for most anything until then. Also, neither of those games is a small "warband" size game.

I'd give the rulesets Pat mentions a try, but I'd also like to play ITEN again, and play a campaign arc. The Campaign book supposedly can give you a full story arc in 6 games or so. 6 games is really only 2 meetings or so or one long day of play.
-Karl

PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Postby PatrickWR » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:21 pm

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:30 pm

Eventually I want to get back to Counterblast. I have all these d10 from Mech Attack. It seems a shame not to have another game to use them with.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:31 pm

I was considering for sci fi or fantasy games, rather than 20s-30s pulp. It is for even fewer figures than SBH and has some interesting scenario making ideas that could be ported into a different game.

Has anyone looked at the beta of the sci fi rules that Andrea Sfiligoi is working on for an italian company? I downloaded the beta but have not read it yet.
-Tim

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:37 pm

i would very much like to try out "Eden" and "Dark Age". I have a small fully painted Eden ISC warband, and I have a couple of Dark Age Warbands on my short list to complete. Not directly related, but I want to get in some large scale games of OGRE this next year as well (I've only had a chance for a few smaller games thus far.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:04 pm

I should say I am also interested in basically everything mentioned so far.
-Tim

xnickbaranx
Game Designer

Postby xnickbaranx » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:09 pm

Games I've been curious about:

Afterlife

Squad based D10 system built around narrative campaign gaming. They started off making 40K knock off stuff and then started developing their own game to go with their models. I watched a video on Beasts of War showing off their "room clearing" mechanic because the game is big on buildings/terrain and it left me really intrigued.

Aetherium

The cyberpunk boardgame/wargame hybrid from Chicago. I really enjoyed the demo I played at AdeptiCon. I'm not sure it'll be as immersive as a lot of other miniature games because their "list building" is very tightly constrained, but that might not be a bad thing.

This Is Not a Test / Across the Dead Earth

Obviously not as sci-fi as the first two, but I've been curious about both of these post-Apoc games for a while. I was more interested in Dead Earth at first, but the bat reps on Guerilla Miniature Gaming for This is Not a Test may have made that game look more interesting.
Broken Contract Design Blog:

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 am

-Karl

Josh O'Connor
Primed

Postby Josh O'Connor » Tue May 24, 2016 6:19 pm

I backed Human Interface: Nakamura Tower which is a minis board game I guess, but with metal minis. The rules look interesting as the goal was to create an updated game with the feel of Cyberpunk 2020. The minis are simply extraordinary. If anyone wants to play this hit me up!

Return to “Let's talk about games!”