New to Kings of War: Where to Start?

Anything gaming related is fair game.
ADLP1917
Primed

New to Kings of War: Where to Start?

Postby ADLP1917 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:39 am

Hey everyone, I'm trying to get into KoW. Been seeing games on YouTube and reading the 3rd rule book, but I still have some questions. I wanted to know what's a good starter army. I know its about what I like and want to build but I want an army that'll show me the ropes before I expand into more armies. I'm use to playing GW Fantasy before it got destroyed 6th-8th edition. I was thinking starting Salamanders, being my favorite, elves or goblins? I'm trying to get out to Gamer Plus if anyone wouldn't mind getting a game in. Thanks.

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: New to Kings of War: Where to Start?

Postby Eilif » Mon May 10, 2021 7:33 pm

ADLP1917 wrote:Hey everyone, I'm trying to get into KoW. Been seeing games on YouTube and reading the 3rd rule book, but I still have some questions. I wanted to know what's a good starter army. I know its about what I like and want to build but I want an army that'll show me the ropes before I expand into more armies. I'm use to playing GW Fantasy before it got destroyed 6th-8th edition. I was thinking starting Salamanders, being my favorite, elves or goblins? I'm trying to get out to Gamer Plus if anyone wouldn't mind getting a game in. Thanks.

Sorry about the late reply.

I don't know if any of us have enough experience to really direct you. Supposedly the various armies are fairly balanced, but maybe the Mantic Forum or one of the fan site's would have more information about the current Meta. Do you still have any of your Fantasy Armies? Maybe just play a couple games with one of those if you do?

I think most of us who have armies just chose them based on what figures we already had or what miniatures or fluff appealed to us.

Best of luck whatever you decide. If you do manage to join us for a game, perhaps we can provide an army for you to try out.
-Karl

ADLP1917
Primed

Postby ADLP1917 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:42 pm

Hey thanks for your reply. I still have my Bret army thought I'm not a fan of there counter part in KoW. However, I am free most days in the morning. When do you guys usually pick up games? or is there a league in Gamers Plus.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Thu May 13, 2021 7:12 pm

Hi A...
I don't know if anyone is doing pick up games currently. I'm looking into what games are going at Games plus currently.

We used to have a regular game night every other week on a Tuesday or Thursday evening. We mostly met in members' homes, but sometimes game stores. Anyway, Karl and I are just starting to talk schedules and such to get back together for some gaming. So, we don't really have anything specific set up.

Personally, I'm not available on weekday mornings, but I suppose a weekend morning is a possibility.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri May 14, 2021 6:35 pm

ADLP1917 wrote:Hey thanks for your reply. I still have my Bret army thought I'm not a fan of there counter part in KoW. However, I am free most days in the morning. When do you guys usually pick up games? or is there a league in Gamers Plus.

We've not been playing for a while even before Covid things had dropped off, but as Tim says, we used to met periodically at member's homes with occasional games at Games Plus.

The initial lists in the rulebook are not amazing for Brettonians, but there are a couple more interesting thematic options for human armies in the Uncharted Empires expansion. Both my "Good Guys" army based on Runewars Daqan and my Chaos army based on Oldhammer GW Chaos found their most representative lists in that book. Haven't had a chance to play them yet, but I never worried much about optimization as long as I could find representative statlines for figures I like.

Not for a couple weeks but at some point I could do a morning battle at my place. The advantages of being able to list "Homemaker" as one's occupation.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Sun May 16, 2021 3:33 pm

Games Plus confirmed that they do not have a Kings of War group.
-Tim

Terra Jones
Primed

Postby Terra Jones » Mon May 17, 2021 2:30 am

I only just heard about Kings of War a few weeks ago and I just bought a mega army. My local game store is games plus and I asked them about it and they said they don't have a group but that doesn't mean that someone can't start one. I'm going to be getting some undead in the mail soon. I also have some basilans. I got two armies in order to have two opposing forces. They're pretty small and they're not technically legal but it's enough to play a bit if you ignore the rule about needing to have a certain number of regiments for every troop.

ADLP1917
Primed

Postby ADLP1917 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:02 pm

Thanks for all the help. I picked up the digital copies of the expansions and figured I could use brets as Order of the green lady. So I should be up an running soon for a few games thought I may still have to flip through the rules. I'll probably head out to Gamers Plus Thursdays to see if they have some starter armies. I'll probably build a Forces of Nature army until they release a salamanders one. Does anyone know when Mantic plans to release that new salamanders force that'll be?

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm

ADLP1917 wrote:Thanks for all the help. I picked up the digital copies of the expansions and figured I could use brets as Order of the green lady. So I should be up an running soon for a few games thought I may still have to flip through the rules. I'll probably head out to Gamers Plus Thursdays to see if they have some starter armies. I'll probably build a Forces of Nature army until they release a salamanders one. Does anyone know when Mantic plans to release that new salamanders force that'll be?

No clue about the Mantic army release schedule. Keep us posted how your armies come together!
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”