Planet 28, Space Wierdos or other rules for 1:18 Sci-Fi Skirmish

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Planet 28, Space Wierdos or other rules for 1:18 Sci-Fi Skirmish

Postby Eilif » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:36 pm

Hey guys,
This may come to nothing, but I've got a crazy idea about running a 1:18 (3.75"/95mm) skirmish game at Adepticon 2023. The "Final Faction" ( https://www.dollartree.com/final-faction ) action figure line at Dollar Tree and my current foray into dual scale (1:56 and 1:18) vehicle building has convinced me that it'd be possible to do on a pretty reasonable budget. To that end I'd be looking for a dead simple -but fun- ruleset, likely in scenario where teams are competing for some sort of loot, but there are also nasty aliens around....

Wishlist of features.
4-6 players
-Flavorful differentiation between characters.
-3-5 characters per player
-Rules for Droids, Humanoids and Aliens
-Easy To teach
-Complexity similar to Song of Blades or Mech Attack.
-Weapon Differentiation, so that the players could choose what weapons to equip their characters with. There's a fairly good selection of guns and gear in the Final Faction Line and it'd be cool if players could choose how to kit out their team.
-Ranges and movement such that after scaling them up it could be playable on a surface around 6x6.
-Some sort of mechanism for larger groups of faceless aliens would be fun, but not completely necessary. Not sure if they would be handled by a GM or by other players.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Planet 28, Space Wierdos or other rules for 1:18 Sci-Fi Skirmish

Postby timlillig » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:31 pm

This sounds like a fun game. I'll have to see if I have anything you could use sitting around. If you want to hang out and work on these things some time, that would be cool.

I would have to take a closer look, but from memory I think Planet 28 has all of those things. I bought Space Weirdos, but have not looked close enough to know all of those things for sure. I think Rogue Stars would work also, but I'm not sure if weapon swapping would work well. I'll try to remember to take a look at those books and form a more informed opinion.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:13 pm

Hey Tim,
Thanks, that would be fun. We should do another club hobby day. I've got a great garage/workshop setup. Just getting together to make stuff!

I think Rogue stars is more involved than I'm looking for, but was that the game you or Chris mentioned before as having a good scenario generator? Went ahead and bought Space Weirdos and discovered I owned planet 28 also so I'll give them a read through.
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:00 am

Hi Guys,
I have Mutants and Death Ray Guns from Ganesha. I also have two supplements, Project Simian Ultra X and Psi Paladins and Techno Barbarians. MDRG is a post-apocalyptic game, but the two supplements add more types of characters that can be seen to be Aliens, Predators, Jedi Knights and others from sci-fi other than post-apocalyptic. Karl you were looking for something like Song of Blades, this game is based on that like many Ganesha games. There is also a variety of weapons too. There are several scenarios in the books some with warbands fighting over supplies, water, and equipment. You may want to take a look at this.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:13 pm

Thanks Mike,
I have MDRG and I'll probably look it over but I think I'd be trying to get away from SBH mechanics for this game. Going to print out Planet 28 and Space Wierdos today if I can find the time at work.
-Karl

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:41 pm

Having read both P28 and Space Weirdos, I do think P28 might be the faster/more con-friendly system, and could accomodate more players easily due to simple action resolution and the Agility stat being initiative. I've been solo playtesting 4 warbands for my 4 player Brutal Quest event and it's quite simple and intuitive that it plays pretty darn fast.

I am scheduled to play some casual Space Weirdos at Adepticon Saturday AM with a buddy, so I might have some more perspective on how that system actually plays, but from my read through there's some things I'm wary of.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:23 am

Thanks for that. Printed out both yesterday and hope to find some time to look them over.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:26 am

Thanks for that. Printed out both yesterday and hope to find some time to look them over. As a simple presentation issue, I really like the booklet format they both use.
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”