Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Postby Eilif » Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:28 pm

I'm willing to try a variety of rulesets, and folks should be free to do so, but I do want to keep primarily playing Kings of War. It's been a while since I enjoyed a ruleset enough to want to spend time gaming to learn it well, and KOW is definitely that for me now.

In terms of campaign, map and narrative, I think it comes down to whether:

-map is a rigid guide to competition and measure of success

Or

-the map and narrative is created by the organizer based on each sessions results.

The former gives people a clearer measure of goals and success. The later provides more flexibility and the overall story we create might differ a bit from the final win loss tallies.

I lean a bit more towards the later, but I'm honestly completely fine with whatever kind of campaign you all -and especially Mike- want to run.
-Karl

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:56 pm

Hi y'all! I love the idea of another fall campaign, and it looks like my schedule might actually allow for some intermittent participation.

I'm *very* unlikely to have a KOW scale army ready in time, but I love the idea of incorporating skirmish scale games into the narrative somehow, perhaps with the outcomes of the skirmish games translating into small bonuses for the appropriate side in the larger games. I would be happy to run a small crew of mercenaries willing to reconnoiter, run weapons, secure magic items or bring offers of treaty to the hill giants or whatever.

It could be as simple as brainstorming a D20 table of possible bonuses that could go to the KOW players and linking them up to objectives that could be rolled and fought over in the skirmish games.

As far as rulesets, I love SOBH, Dragon Rampant, Open Combat, and Brutal Quest. If anyone is feeling adventurous, I've been working on a significantly revamped fantasy version of my own game Ye Dogs & Ye Dust if anyone wants to help playtest.

If we go with an objective/bonus table system like the one above, I don't think which game system(s) we use for the skirmish side actually matters that much. We could just go with what we feel like playing to get that narrative juice.

The thing that I *might* be able to have ready in time for a fall campaign would be a modular, hand illustrated CASTLE IN A BOX. Especially if we're thinking more September timeframe than August...

Here's a teaser on that one =P:

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 am

I suppose my questions were based on my conception of how a campaign run like Risk would work. It sounds like maybe i had an idea that is not really relevant to what you have in mind, Michael. I'll look forward to seeing how it works and what contributions I can make.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 pm

Mattias,
So great to hear from you! The picture isn't showing, but we'd love to have you in the campaign and to see what castle you're cooking up.

Would be cool also to see the current state of Dogs and the Dust.
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:00 am

Hi Guys,
I have been working on campaign ideas and if people like I was thinking of the following:

Using a map I have on the Warhammer Old World area of the Border Princes. The Border Princes is a ruff and rugged area south of the Empire. It is inhabited by many factions including various humans, undead, orcs, etc. There are petty tyrants who seek to carve out their own little empire. Since the factions are so diverse and open to players carving out their own territories I thought it would be good to use. The map has sections marked out on it that we could use to keep track of our progress.

Tim when I used the idea of Risk I was just using that as a game which was about conquering an area represented by a map. When I played Risk it did make me think of different terrain such as mountains and how that would have affected the game.

Using the Old World as the setting of the campaign even though it will be KOW based. Mantic is trying to get a world together for a background to their game, but it is very light so far. G.W. has been working on the Old World for about 25 years and there is plenty of background and it is easy to find online even though G.W. destroyed the Old World, for now.

I have the old G.W. publication, The General's Compendium which the map came in as well as many ideas on running campaigns in it. I had the map laminated some time ago. I have been using The General's Compendium and other online sites also devoted to campaigning in the Border Princes area for ideas.

As far as the particulars on how the campaign will be run I am still working on that using ideas that you have submitted. After I get a little further along I will post a document on the campaign for everyone to comment on.
Starting this as a Fall campaign is good as it allows us time to fine tune the whole system.

If everyone likes I am planning on making the campaign so both full 2,000 point KOW armies can be used as well as small skirmish forces as well. Much of the material I have been reading gets very heavy with rules. I am hoping to get a more streamlined campaign developed that I hope will be easy to run and fun. I was thinking that we would make a set time period for the campaign to play and at the end the winner will be the player who has conquered the most sections on the map.

Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:26 pm

I like what I'm hearing Mike! The border of the Old World sound like a great place for a campaign. Let us know what information and such you need from us.

As before, the only thing I'm hoping is that there will be some mechanics or geography (rivers, neutral mountains, etc) or distribution of the land that will keep a player from becoming isolated with only one opponent (or no opponent if that person can't make it to a game night). On the other hand, with our relatively infrequent meeting schedule, it might not even be an issue as we might not play enough games for isolation to be possible.

As for campaign mechanics and complexity, I'm fine with whatever level of complexity you are comfortable with. I think we all know you're a fair minded guy who can put together a good thing and adjust it responsibly mid-campaign if necessary.
-Karl

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:43 am

Sounds super cool Mike!

Let's try just that photo link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/uFiLib7mS1VnpNWa6

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:00 pm

Hi Mattias,
Thank you for giving us the link for your castle. It looks great and could be useful in the fall campaign. I would also be interested in play testing your ‘Ye Dogs & Ye Dust’.

Several people have written asking what they could do to help and / or what info I may need. I can use the following:

Please give me a list of what factions / forces everyone is planning on using. It would be nice to pick out a name for your army and leader too. This doesn't have to be written in stone at this point since we have several months for everyone to think things over, paint miniatures and such. Having an idea of what armies and skirmishers that may be used allows me to somewhat personalize the campaign.

A list of the fantasy terrain people have would be helpful. This could list such things as hills, rivers, stone circles, bridges, bogs, castles, buildings, etc. The Border Princes map has such things as forest, hills, undead barrows, ruff looking fortifications and others. I am thinking that when two forces meet in a map section for battle it would be nice to have the proper scenery on the table top.

Thank you in advance,
Michael

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:14 pm

Hi all,
To lead off with info, my general is Samira the Salacious. She leads the Debauched Ones, a 2,000 point Varangur army.

Some of my fantasy terrain pieces include aquarium hills / caves, Chaos items, G.W. orc village, G.W. cemetery, autumn hills / cave, Egyptian terrain items, and ruined buildings which can cover a 4’x4” table for Mordheim.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:12 pm

My army is the Chaos Horde "Night Herons of the Black Crown"
Leader is Perfidion, Lord of Chaos.

I'm going to try and work up a second army of around1500 points for someone else to use, but I'll know in August if that will happen

For Terrain...

-Rocky desert With big, very big and small rocks.
-Green fields and Forest and various ruins that fit that environment.
-Fantasy village of repainted ceramic houses.
-Village of stucco and tile roof buildings with accessible interiors
-walls and such for villages, along with some waterfront bits.
-rivers and muddy roads.
-Wool mats, a rough forest Zuzzy mat and one table with dessert sand texture.
-Mattias' terrain set which has dead trees, ruined houses and creepy hobbit holes, all on a grassland basing.

If anyone needs to store some terrain at my place that would be fine.
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”