Gaming Monday December 11th. Full Thrust and Alpha Strike?

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Gaming Monday December 11th. Full Thrust and Alpha Strike?

Postby Eilif » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:48 pm

Hey Folks,
Dec 11th will be our last regularly scheduled gaming night of the year. We might squeeze in a hobby night at the end of the year but that has yet to be determined. Consider this an open gaming night.

Tim and few others have decided to play Full Thrust.

I'm open to a variety of games, though I'm kind of in an Alpha Strike mech combat mood.

Please RSVP with what you'd like to play.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Gaming Monday December 11th. Full Thrust and Alpha Strike?

Postby Michael S. » Thu Dec 07, 2023 4:27 pm

Hi Karl,
I will be playing Full Thrust. I am working on constructing my fleets list. I must say there is a fair amount of math involved figuring out the ship's stats and points.
Michael

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Sun Dec 10, 2023 1:02 pm

As much as I would enjoy Full thrust, I am very much on board for Alpha Strike as it is one of my favorites, and it has been quite some time since I played. I can bring a force or three (should anyone need one) and dropzone commander streets, buildings, terrain, and my drop ship if you like. Just let me know. Also, how many points?

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:02 pm

Jon, all that sounds great. Do you have an idea of how many points you want to play?
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:51 pm

Two great games. I'll be there with 4 fleets for full thrust if anyone wants to join in.

Michael, I have found it easiest to use the ships from the fleet books, or find them online. I have plenty of ships if you would like to play 1500 points.
-Tim

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Sun Dec 10, 2023 8:46 pm

Hi Tim,
I have enough ships for 1,500 points. I put together a 1,000 point fleet after going through the ship construction rules for a number of days. I will look into constructing another 5oo points to add. I am getting the hang of constructing a ship, the hardest part is figuring out the engine drive system. After the drive is done it is easy to add weapons and other systems. I also have some planets that I made for terrain that I can bring. Do you or Karl have a game mat for spaceships?
Michael

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:43 pm

I haven't played Alpha Strike in several years. Not even sure what a good point value is. 350pts?

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:35 am

Tim and Mike,
Is a 3x4 space enough for Full Thrust?

Jon,
I'll start printing cards for my mechs (Liao tonight) this afternoon and will see how 350 comes out. I'd like to be able to field around two lances. It's almost like the first game for both of us, but IIRC Alpha Strike is kind of bland at less than 8-10 units per player.

Looking forward to seeing the drop ship and city!!

Also, for everyone's consideration...
Last night I was consolidating and re-dividing the two Swordsworn (Davion allied) armies I've got. Going to redistribute a few mechs for variety, organize vehicles into 3-unit platoons where possible and then redistribute the forces into two armies. Won't have it quite ready tonight, but by the next meeting I'll have a whole army ready to give to a player who wants one. The only thing it will be missing is infantry.
-Karl

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:17 pm

Nice Karl. 2 lances sounds about right. I'll stat up to 350 but have enough extra I can go up or down as needed. I'll do something similar with my extra forces as you describe. I have Rasalhaque/Ghost Bear, Steiner, and Wolf Hunters armies. Also short on infantry and do not currently have any based.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:55 pm

Jackswift wrote:Nice Karl. 2 lances sounds about right. I'll stat up to 350 but have enough extra I can go up or down as needed. I'll do something similar with my extra forces as you describe. I have Rasalhaque/Ghost Bear, Steiner, and Wolf Hunters armies. Also short on infantry and do not currently have any based.

Sounds like a plan. You ok with a Mechs only battle tonight? I've statted up all my Liao Mechs and 350 looks like a good number for a couple lances per side. I can go up or down as well depending on what we decide.

I'm largely choosing my unit cards depending on which ones have the fewest special rules while also trying to hew generally (though by no means always) towards the Dark Age and Republic eras.

I'm really impressed with how easy it is with the MUL to look up units, put together a list and print out the cards. Also, the cards now have TMM on them, so you don't have to figure it out from scratch every time.

One thing to note is that I think the old pre-2018 Alpha Strike cards are now defunct as the points system was updated. However, if that's what you're working from, let's just go ahead and use them.
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”