Discussion: Gaming Emphasis in the New Year.

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Discussion: Gaming Emphasis in the New Year.

Postby Eilif » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:28 am

Hey Folks
Four of us had alot of fun on Monday playing Full Thrust and Alpha Strike (in 10mm). I played Alpha Strike and it's definitely a ruleset I'd like to dig more into.

The general feeling was that it might be time to move to a new emphasis for the beginning of 2024. Either plain open gaming or an emphasis on smaller-scale games. Not that we have to stop playing K47 entirely, but there doesn't seem to be alot of excitement behind K47 right now.

Let me know what you all think. I like themes and emphasis, so a time focusing on smaller scale games (Full Thrust, Alpha Strike, Epic40k, etc...) appeals to me, but I'm fine if folks would prefer to have just open gaming for a time. And of course regardless of what we call it, folks will always be welcome to play games other than what the majority is up too.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Discussion: Gaming Emphasis in the New Year.

Postby Michael S. » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:48 am

Hi all,
I am still interested in playing K47 if anyone wants to. Plain open gaming is also fun. We can maybe set one of our two games a month evenings to play something that continues a theme for a while such as smaller scale gaming. The second week can be open gaming where each month someone can bring a game that maybe no one else had played to give it a try. Just a couple of suggestions are two games I own, the original Space Hulk game and the original Warhammer Quest, Both are easy to learn and fairly fast playing. I also have two armies built for Turnip 28 if someone would like to try that.
As for themes, smaller scales are fine. I have been looking to play games with spaceships for a while and trying out Full Thrust was great, thank you Tim. I would also like to play Epic 40K or the Panzer 8 Sci-Fi version that Jon and I played a number of months back. I also liked that game. I also have Dirtside II to try. I do have a few original BattleTech mechs, although they are a smaller scale then Alpha Strike. By the way I found an internet site where I was able to download a number of things such as quick start rules for Alpha Strike. For small scale fantasy I have the old G.W. Warmaster game although I do not have my army painted yet. Warmaster uses 10mm (1:144, N Scale) miniatures. I also have some terrain for it. If I remember correctly there is a Panzer 8 set of rules for small scale fantasy.
Let me know what you think.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:42 pm

Michael,
Per our discussion, here's the "Swordsworn" force I have for you.
IMG_20231216_125545764.jpg

IMG_20231216_125328458.jpg

I'll supply a base for the ground unit that is missing it.

I don't have names for all the units, but you can identify them here:
https://www.warrenborn.com/Search.php?F ... Swordsworn

Once you know what they are you can find all the stats for Alpha Strike here:
http://masterunitlist.info/Unit/Filter
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 am

Hi Karl,
Thank you!
Michael

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:14 am

First I have to acknowledge that anything I say should have lots of salt added. Mondays are just rough for me. Working from home most Mondays it just gets hard to find the motivation to head out. Nothing against anyone in the club or anything. It is just my problem. But I do want to do more gaming in the future.
* Alpha Strike with rebased Mechwarrior pieces? Okay I may have to bust those out and see if I have enough rebased for a reasonable squad. I should have a decent lance of Republic of the Sphere and a Clan faction as well.
* K47 holds little appeal to me.

Some games I expect to capture my attention in the run up to Adepticon:
* Space Station Zero. Since I am running a 12 player event Thursday afternoon of the con, I should really get in a few games to make sure I can answer questions that might pop up. I have one table of cardboard terrain built and will build three more in the run up.
* Blood Bowl. I played a couple events last year and really enjoy the game, minis, and the other players. There are plenty of opportunities to play this elsewhere, so if no one else is interested, I'm good.
* Mech Attack is usually a good time and I would be down for that at 28mm or 10mm scale.
* My buddy and likely con roommate Donovan is going to play in the Aerodome event. So I can buy that game and practice or buy a Dungeon Bowl starter for the Friday Blood Bowl event. Strong local interest in one or the other would certainly affect my decision making.

After Adepticon, I will be looking at Mobile Arms and Relicblade. I bought in on the backroom crowdfund campaign on MA and keep hearing good things about Relicblade.

I also have the rules for Space Weirdos, Majestic 13, and Tanks for the Apocalypse for single player post apocalyptic 28 mm single tank combat for up to 10 players. If anyone is looking to rehome any 28mm M4 Sherman tanks, let me know.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:49 am

I would be up for some robot or spaceship based games. I'd like to play more Alpha Strike and Full thrust for sure.
K47 is fun enough, but not something I'm really excited about.

If anyone knows a good game for fighters, I've got a lot of star wars ships I painted up that I would like to get on the table too.

I read the Grimdark Fututre spaceship rules. They might actually work for fighters, I think I'd have to stat some ships up and try it.

Space hulk might work nicely in all that vault terrain. I still have to put together some Bloodbowl figures, i would play that too.

I would be up for a change of day if Mondays don't work as well for folks. My weekday evenings are pretty much wide open right now.
-Tim

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:39 am

Hi all,
To Chivenger and I am sorry for my ignorance, but what is your name? I am open to other days than Monday. A Saturday is good to me so you could set up a longer game than we can do on a Monday evening. Although I know many members can’t get together on weekends. I am open to host. I am always open for Blood Bowl, possibly the best game ever designed by G.W. I have five teams for the Blood Bowl. Space Weirdos is great and also Majestic 13, I love the X-Files feel of the game. I saw you have ‘Tanks for the Apocalypse’, I didn’t know what that was and looked it up. It looks like fun. I don’t currently have a Sherman, but can look into getting one. I do have a Patton Tank which I am putting together for K47.

Hi Tim, the new OPR Warfleet rules look simple enough so as you suggested, it can be adapted to fighters. I would love to try that as well as more Space Ship games in general. Using the vault terrain for Space Hulk sounds great. If people would like to play, you can put together a Space Marine force or a Genestealer one. The original game was just Terminators and pureblood Genestealers but White Dwarf magazine had additional rules for power armor space marines and Chaos Space marines. I haven’t looked through my material for years, but I may have those operational rules. One supplement I have for Space Hulk has rules for Genestealer hybrids.
Michael

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Fri Jan 05, 2024 7:32 pm

Late to the party. Quite flexible on this. Happy to focus on smaller scale games for a while. I have fewer painted models for smaller games but can always pull individual models from my larger armies. Might mean I need to paint up a bit more, or borrow models but that is okay too. Alpha strike, mech attack, full thrust, any other space ship games, Epic 40k, space weirdos, SobH, etc. Also have interest in trying other games such as Dark Age and Arena Rex of anyone else has interest. I have models but do not have fully painted units for any of them currently.

Also always up for Grim dark, KoW, etc., or even some board games like Ogre if there is interest.

Monday nights work well for me, but can flex some if needed Mon-Thurs. My only unavailability is in the spring when my daughter's play comes up will be stuck set building on Tues/Thurs. nights for a month and a half of so.

Cheers,
Jon

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Jan 06, 2024 8:56 pm

Thanks for all the feedback folks. Sounds like we've got alot of options going forward.
Mondays work for me, but I'm open to trying other days if the majority wants to shift that way. Other weekdays are generally open except for Friday.
-Karl

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:29 am

VERY late to the party here, but for my two cents:
  • I would definitely play more Full Thrust, I have 3 fleets and a starmat.
  • I think I've played Alpha Strike once, and I think I enjoyed it. I would try it again, but would need to borrow a force.
  • I hope to have a force finished for Turnip28 sometime in the next six months. In the meantime, I could always proxy from my painted fantasy collection.
  • I would LOVE to play more Bloodbowl. I have a couple teams painted, but have several more in the painting queue that folks could borrow. If there is anyone who has never played but is curious, I'm happy to run a beginner/teaching game as well. Seriously, this game kicks ass, I love it so much.

For Skirmish Games:
[list]
[*]Space Weirdos is great, and I would play more.
[*]I'm hoping to have the scifi version of TD&TD ready for playtesting again in a few months and would love to run games of either that or the fantasy version.
[*]If the group would be interested in a Mordheim campaign, I would be very down for that.

Return to “Let's talk about games!”