Photo's of June 1st Mech Attack game. Troops are useful again!

Show us your painted mans!
Eilif
Toybasher

Photo's of June 1st Mech Attack game. Troops are useful again!

Postby Eilif » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:28 am

Sorry about the lateness if this post. I don't recall the exact details, but it was a fun 3-way game with myself, Tim and Kevin. Tim won with excellent tactical control of objectives. Kevin came in a fairly close second and I was absolutely annihilated.

More importantly, I think we've achieved a really solid method for effective combined arms games that centers around making objectives holdable only by troops. Here's the description of the scenario I posted over at the Mech Attack forum. Feel free to correct me on the details.

IIRC, the game setup and details were something like this:
-6 objectives
-6 turns
-3 player game With each starting in a corner of a 3x4'ish table
-each player running about 3 mechs, 2 apc's 1 tank and 4 infantry
-Infantry respawn at their starting board corner when destroyed
-We also had a few minor additions regarding # of units allowed in a building (one of each team up to 2), entering buildings, a -2 when shooting at a unit in a building, etc but otherwise mostly by the book

I think the scoring was aproximately:
-25 points for the first to seize an objective
-25 points for ending the game in control of an objective.
-Points based on unit BP (build points) for destroying tanks and vehicles.
-No points for destroying infantry.

It's a fairly simple scenario, but in practice it's quite elegant as it prioritizes taking and holding terrain and makes infantry essential. Suddenly you find yourself picking targets based on entirely different criteria. You still want to kill mechs, but more to protect your objectives and infantry than just for the sake of points. Also, at 6 turns (or maybe it was 8?...) the game wraps up in a good amount of time without breaking down into a slugfest of repeatedly blasting away at buildings to kill the infantry inside. Further, it makes vehicles -especially APC's- very useful in moving and protecting infantry. Finally, even tanks that usually don't have a prayer of taking out a medium or heavy mech find a useful role hunting APC's and blasting out troops.

Here's the pics. Cilck on a pic to get the slide show
DSCN0435.JPG

DSCN0436.JPG

DSCN0437.JPG

DSCN0438.JPG

DSCN0439.JPG

DSCN0440.JPG

DSCN0442.JPG

DSCN0443.JPG

DSCN0444.JPG

DSCN0445.JPG

DSCN0446.JPG

DSCN0447.JPG

DSCN0448.JPG

DSCN0449.JPG

DSCN0451.JPG
-Karl

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Re: Photo's of June 1st Mech Attack game. Troops are useful again!

Postby Chivenger » Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:44 am

Looks awesome. Really need to get my RotS figs re-based.

Return to “Photo Gallery”