Jed's Painting Projects

Show us your painted mans!
jedthehomarid
Primed

Jed's Painting Projects

Postby jedthehomarid » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi all!

After a long hiatus I've finally broken out my brushes and started painting up some minis again.

First up was continuing to work on the Kickstarter set of Stonehaven Dwarves that I picked up a couple years ago.

These represent a Witch, a Necromancer, and a Cleric/Mage and were painted with Ceramcoat paints and Citadel inks. Brush-on matte varnish was used for a top coat. I was experimenting with painting gradients on the cloak on the Cleric/Mage and I really like how it turned out, especially with the silver highlights on the lower edge. The rear-facing image definitely shows off the colors a better.

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

My plan is to keep working on these over the next couple of weeks, but when I get a chance I will post some of the others that I've already completed.

--Ryan

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Jed's Painting Projects

Postby timlillig » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Looking good Ryan. Its nice to see what you are working on.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:53 pm

Hey Ryan!
Great to hear from you again. Nice work on those dwarves. Getting any chances to game out there in the mountains?
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

jedthehomarid
Primed

Postby jedthehomarid » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:17 pm

Thanks Karl and Tim! I have not been able to find a local gaming group yet. Though with me painting again I'm planning to start looking for one.

This past weekend I painted up two more of the Stonehaven Dwarves. That leaves me with just four more to paint up. I also was working on a Bones necromancer from the first Kickstarter (more KS backlog!) but haven't quite finished him up.

These are a highwayman and a hunter. I was inspired by Pat's version of the highwayman that he painted up way back in 2013 (http://chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2013/03/25/fully-painted-stonehaven-dwarven/), but ended up going with darker blue tones for mine.

For the hunter I was particularly trying to allow his armor to be distinct but not too flashy. I used browns and then a red GW shade (Carroburg Crimson) to try to mimic the look of cuir bouilli. I am pretty pleased with how it turned out.

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

I'm looking forward to wrapping these up soon and moving on to some bigger projects that have been lingering in storage.

Edit: I also need to find some better lighting to take photos!

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:04 am

Nicely done! The blue on the highwayman came out well.

jedthehomarid
Primed

Postby jedthehomarid » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Thanks for the compliment on the Highwayman Jackswift!

This time around I have a few Bones figures: a Necromancer with familiar and two mummies.

This guy is intended to head up an Undead warband I've been working on. I couldn't help but think of Tim the Enchanter and the Final Fantasy Tonberry as I painted these two up. I am pleased with how his cloak turned out with its sickly green color. Initially the gold on the stole was just a light purple, but I think the gold accent really helps the skulls pop better.

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

These mummies started out being painted by my four-year old daughter. She has started painting things alongside me and we decided to try out some Bones figures. She mainly has enjoyed mixing various colors and these started out with a request for orange and green that quickly mixed into a light brown. She then added some more orange along with the brown base coat. Once she took a break I went back with a brown GW shade and some light brown and ivory drybrushing. The exposed skin and bones were touched up with grey. I think the original orange adds some nice variation to the bandages and am pleased with how these guys turned out, especially since it is the first shared project with my daughter!

IMG_2683.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

The mummies are also missing an appropriate basing, because I found that my tried and true pumice powder mixed with brown paint had dried solid. Once I get around to mixing up some more they will be finished off. I guess that's what happens when you go for months without painting!

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:51 pm

I like the skin and hair on the necromancer and mummies. The detail on the stole is good too.
-Tim

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:11 pm

You really nailed Master Tonberry's color.

Nice work!
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:07 pm

Painting with your 2 year old daughter = Awesome!
I've painted a few spaceships with my son, but they don't look near as good as those mummies.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

jedthehomarid
Primed

Postby jedthehomarid » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Hello again! Quite a break between posts and painting but after being introduced to the "1 Hour a Night" painting group by Josh I've started easing back into painting. Hopefully I can keep it up more regularly.

First up are my remaining Stonehaven Dwarves (from the Kickstarter in 2012!). I really like the variety of each of these minis and enjoyed painting them up.

Stonehaven Dwarves Front.JPG

Stonehaven Dwarves Back.JPG

Next up are some Lizardmen with a simple yellow and green scheme. I really like the more lithe, snakelike appearance compared to the beefed up GW Lizardmen that I have painted up before. These were from a grab bag of old metal lizard sculpts given to me by some CSW members several years ago. I am not sure what company these are from. Does anyone have any ideas?

Unknown Lizardmen A.JPG

Unknown Lizardmen B.JPG

Finally I have a follow up picture of the Reaper Bones mummies with their basing.

Reaper Mummies Based.JPG

I also painted up a mini for Josh, but I will let him show that off when he gets it back.

Until next time!

Return to “Photo Gallery”