Karl's Project Log. 8/5 Industrial Grinder: Completed!

Show us your painted mans!
Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Re: Karl's Project Log. 6/5 Fisher Price Parking Garage Converted and Basecoated

Postby Jackswift » Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:06 am

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing these on the table-top.

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 6/5 Fisher Price Parking Garage Converted and Basecoated

Postby Eilif » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:31 am

Thanks! I don't know when they'll see the table, but I'll have the Parking garage with me tonight.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Here's a batch of scatter and small terrain I'm making for a Jon of mine. In exchange he will be painting up 6 or 7 necromunda characters.

All are based on more of the "Base 10" bricks that I also used on my parking garage Once you gouge them up a bit they make great cement floors.

-The first batch is cargo.
Some bogey's from a toy tank and some random gears taken from the inside of various toys. I love these.

Here's some baby food pouch caps, some electric motors (these are in everything!) and two stacks of I-Beams made from Power City (aka Girder and Panel) sets.

-The second batch is general industrial stuff.
Three bits of machinery all made from leftover parts from the $10 Technolog tanks I built a while back.

Here's a battery box from a flashlight with some tank wheel pieces. A section with a game piece, a farm oil tank, a contact case jar and a small bit of pipe from a toy. The green box was the back of some old army-men toy.

Here's kind a neat twist. I made two additional walkway sections so that each batch of scatter terrain can be placed together into a larger terrain piece.

Just primed these up I'll snap a pic this evening and maybe even start on painting.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 6/27 Scatter Terrain before paint

Postby Eilif » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:45 am

Found this Indiana Jones "Jungle Cutter" (missing a fair number of parts) at the resale shop, so my other projects got shunted aside and I jumped right in...

Could be a cool crawler or Ork Tank or somesuch, but I'm going to convert it into an industrial processing/grinding center. Like a couple of my recent projects I'm going to try and use almost nothing except for this model itself in the conversion.

The first step was to remove the treads and the bottom/underside piece.

Then I unscrewed and removed every detail piece that I could.

Then I got out my trusty Dremel 543 bit and cut away the lower section of the front so it would sit flat on the ground. I also cut away a few tabs from inside the cockpit area.
ImageImage

I also took the opportunity to start chopping up the track sections, making sure to preserve some long sections of tread for future use. They're mostly one piece with tiny wheels on the bottom, but when cut apart carefully, there's all kinds of great detail you can save.
The piece on the far right is a section of the underside that I'll be using in the next step.
Lastly, I saved the shavings and chunks that were leftover.
I especially saved the tiny melted/grinded bits that the 543 bit leaves on the edges. You'll find out why I saved these in the next installment...
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 8/3 Industrial Grinder: Scrap and Conveyor belt.

Postby Eilif » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:41 pm

And now for the next installment of the Jungle cutter becoming Industrial Scenry!

First off, here's two shots showing the input and output ends of the conveyor belt. It's just two pieces of tread, glued together and then held in places with pieces of plastic that I cut from the bottom of the tank hull. Both ends extend just far enough into the structure to give the illusion of a full length conveyor belt and as you can see there's no need to be neat and tidy with the parts no one will see as long as it's nice and sturdy.

I wanted this shreder/gridner to be useful in both my urban industrial terrain and my dessert mining colony terrain. To that end I created two different sets of scrap that can be placed on or next to the the machinery. For the Industrial version, a pile of metal junk made mostly from offcuts from the tread sections and for the output a bunch of shredded "metal" bits made of those plastic shavings I mentioned saving earlier

and for the mining colony a small stack of concrete/mortar bits that have fallen off my house (It's 110 years old...) and some ground up rock made from gravel I sifted out of the concrete mix that I use for most ballast and soil.

The outputs are glued to pieces of Mc-donalds cup (a cheap source of flexible styrene sheet) and are stepped so they can lay in the end of the conveyor belt and appear to be spilling over.

This picture gives you some idea of how the stepeped outputs will look on the machinery. As seen in the picture, originally I tried to just glue them together (without the styrene cup base) on a piece of wax paper. That didn't work very well and it used a ton of glue which probably injured my brain, but at least you see how the stepped effect works.

Then I primed everythign with black spray paint. a few of the bits were vinyl and have gotten just a bit sticky but that will be taken care of with time and additional layers of paint. The main structure and the big vents were then sprayed from about 2 feet away with quick bursts from a can of "Rustoleum 2x Cinnamon Satin Spray". Spraying form a distance creates a nice mottled surface that is flatter than satin and looks nice and worn.

The input and output ends of the machinery which also give a bit better impression of the mottled paint effect.
ImageImage

So, this project is chugging right along. Last night I put all the paint on the rest of the parts and the various details and alot of flecks of metalic paint to suggest wear. I'll try and get some pics of that tomorrow. Tonight or tomorrow I should be able to apply the wash and then all that will be necessary is the tan drybrush.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 8/2 Industrial Grinder: Scrap and Conveyor Belts

Postby Eilif » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:27 am

All assembled and with colors brushed on where necessary and two quick and heavy washes. The wash mix is roughly half and half water and Pledge Future Floor Finish with brown paint added to taste.

The difference isn't as dramatic as it would be over brighter colors, but it definitely ups the level of grime and really makes the panels and recesses "pop".

The mounds of before and after junk got the same 2-wash treatment.

I'll try and apply the varnish and drybrush soon and should have the whole thing done and posted by this weekend.

A few notes on process and avoiding a common problem:
Future is cheap and dries very fast, which really speeds up the process of applying washes. I was able to do two heavy washes in one evening. Unfortunately it also dries with a slight sheen. A final coat of Matte varnish at the end of the project makes this go away, but unfortunately a light drybrush ( I usually finish with a light tan drybrush) applied over a hard finish like Future (which is basically liquid Polyurethane I think) sometimes disolves away a bit when you apply the brush-on matte varnish.

The solution therefore is to put on the matte varnish after the future finish (I'll do that next) and then put the drybrush on top of that. The drybrush will adhere well to the matte surface and I probably won't bother applying any sealer/varnish on top of the drybrush.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 8/4 Industrial Grinder: Assembled and washed.

Postby Eilif » Fri Aug 05, 2016 1:20 pm

And the Industrial Grinder is finished!
2 quick layers of Varnish last night, followed by a tan drybrush this morning and here's what we've got:

Here's the two different sets of input and output. Scrap metal Becomes Metal Shavings and Rock becomes gravel.

It's great to find a toy as nice as this one where even the grating inside the exhausts is included!

So that's it for now. One neat thing about this model is that -except for the gravel, rocks and soda cup plastic- every bit of this model came from the original toy. As much as I love having a huge bits and scraps collection, a model like this is proof that as long as you have the tools for hacking something apart (again I recommend the Dremel 543 cutting/shaping wheel) and a bit of ingenuity, you can make great toybashed terrain without any bits box at all.

I probably won't have any terrain to show for a bit. I've got to assemble some marines for a buddy of mine and then I'll be off on vacation, but rest assured there are great things on the horizon for the month of August. It looks like I might finally be able to set aside the time to build my Sci-Fi Train!
-Karl

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Re: Karl's Project Log. 8/5 Industrial Grinder: Completed!

Postby Jackswift » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:31 pm

Very cool... if Brutal... piece of terrain. I'm certain this will make an appearance on game nights. Nice job really using the toy for the kitbash!

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 8/5 Industrial Grinder: Completed!

Postby Eilif » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Thanks Jon.
"Brutal" it is!
-Karl

Return to “Photo Gallery”