Through The World of Mini-ing. World Model Expo 2017, Exposed!

Discuss anything unrelated to gaming...
gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Few things in life truly infatuate me. The connections between light speed and causality. Missing pieces of the standard model of particle physics. The disparity between social ritual and necessity, and often my lack of either. ;D Actually, I guess I get infatuated with a lot of crap. It's in my nature, but it makes me happy. And, let's face it, if this is all some kind of cruel ancestor simulation, then isn't personal happiness what it's all about anyway? Painting makes me happy. Seeing others recreate a vision from within their head through a visual medium to share with ...

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:30 am

Excellent work and nice commentary!
I had no idea that much of what was on display was ousourced to Russia.

I brought my son to the expo and he had a great time. Just reminded me that I've got a batch of pics of my own. Not as nice as yours, but maybe it's time for a second expo gallery post.

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks for sharing. It just wasn't in the cards that weekend to make the trip downtown. Maybe it will be back in Chicago again.

gattz
Final Highlights

Re: Through The World of Mini-ing. World Model Expo 2017, Exposed!

Postby gattz » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:55 pm

You're most welcome. The Expo is held once every 3 years, and seems like a random location, like the Olympics. I'd say the odds of it coming back to Chicago within a reasonable timeframe are low. :( I, myself, did not realize this until AFTER I attended, so I really feel like I lucked out with this one!

On the plus side, we still have Adepticon in the midwest which still draws some mighty fine painting and modeling, in a slightly different atmosphere.

I feel like compiling a list of all of the midwest minis (gaming?) conventions would be a handy thing to have for this group for future reference.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:34 pm

It was definitely a lucky chance. From what I understand they only have an expo very few years and it's been over a decade since it was last held in the USA.

Adepticon and Little Wars do provide alot of great painting. Neither has quite the density or variety of incredibly high qualtity work, but those would be my go-to local chicago cons for each year.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:55 pm

It was definitely a lucky chance. From what I understand they only have an expo very few years and it's been over a decade since it was last held in the USA.

Adepticon and Little Wars do provide alot of great painting. Neither has quite the density or variety of incredibly high qualtity work, but those would be my go-to local Chicago Cons for each year.
-Karl

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Adepticon 100%. I have to go to Little Wars sometime...heck, I have to go to GenCon sometime!

Return to “Non-Gaming talk”