Anyone linux Computing?

Discuss anything unrelated to gaming...
Eilif
Toybasher

Anyone linux Computing?

Postby Eilif » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:47 pm

Hey Guys,
A while back Tim helped me setup an old Laptop for linux. The laptop was pretty spotty and died shortly thereafter, but I always wanted to try Linux again. I recently got given a 2007 HP 6910p from work and I decided to give it a go.

I visited the folks at Freegeek Chicago
http://freegeekchicago.org/
and they had a ton of ridiculously cheap computers already loaded with Linux. I already had mine and they don't do installations or repairs but they did give me a linx MInt disc that I was later able to install myself, only having to consult the internet for the first step of booting from a disc. I also bought a computer bag and big bag of electronic parts Including cooling fans from their scrap electronic parts area for $10. Should be great for terrain building.

My Linux loaded 2007 HP seems just as fast on our mediocre internet connection as my Mac and even though it didn't even come with wifi equpment, this usb wireless...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076 ... UTF8&psc=1
...came pre-loaded for linux and was strait plug-n-play.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if any of you were using Linux and if you had any suggestions. I'm really happy with it so far. Also, a shout out for Freegeek as a pretty cool source for a cheap computers and random bits.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Anyone linux Computing?

Postby timlillig » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:31 pm

I don't have a Linux computer I am using right now, but when I have, it was usually pretty easy to find solutions to any problem online. There are some very helpful online forums.

I should visit Free Geek Chicago. I looked into volunteering with them some time back, but my schedule didn't line up with theirs.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Anyone linux Computing?

Postby Eilif » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

It's definitely worth a visit if just to see the place which is located in a basement only accessible from the alley.
-Karl

Return to “Non-Gaming talk”