Introduce yourself

Discuss anything unrelated to gaming...
Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Eilif » Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:52 pm

Wadtomaton wrote:I don't really have any forces made for it up to this point, but model wise, I have a bunch of space marines and orkz, so that is likely where I'd start.

I've been curious on standard Grimdark Future as well, Uncle Adam from Tabletop Minions has been looking at it a bit and mentioned it seems like the # of models needed to get a force up and running is a lot less for GDF compared to 40k, which is appealing for sure.

Standard Grimdark games are pretty close in size to 40k games.
As you suggest, Grimdark Firefight is much smaller, being closer in size to kill team. Personally, I love a big battle, but I'd certainly give Firefight another go.

No worries about not having a force ready yet for either game, we've got lots you can use until you get yours painted up. I've got Blood Angel and Dark Angel Marines, Imperial Guard, Tau and Necron on hand, and I know there are Orks, various shades of Chaos, Eldar and others out there among members.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

JamesWrecks
Basecoated

Postby JamesWrecks » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:14 am

Hello,

This is James, I met everyone last Monday for Grimdark and am taking over the OPR table for Karl.

I am willing to play almost everything, but recently I've been playing GW games a whole bunch. I'm trying to be an anti-consumerist gamer though, so if I have the bits and parts to play a game, I'm more likely to give it a go instead of purchasing more. I run the 40k Tuesdays at Fair Game in Downers Grove so if you want to learn (and not have to buy codexes), swing by.

I am a single dad, two kids 11 and 13 who game with me from time to time. They keep me up on all the memes and I tell them what life was like before the internet. My kids call me a doomer, but they have no idea.

I WFH for Walgreens for IT, and my other hobbies and interest are anything absurd. For example, right now I'm growing potatoes in 5 gallon buckets in my living room just to see if I can.

My discord is also jameswrecks.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:29 am

Hi James,
Was great to meet you on Monday. Thanks again for taking over the Grimdark Game for us.

Your anti-consumer gaming leanings are well appreciated by our members. The club has a long history of cheapskate wargaming. Looking forward to gaming with you again soon.

Karl
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:23 pm

I work towards Dowers Grove, so I'll stop by some Tuesday coming up.
-Tim

passif
Primed

Postby passif » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:29 pm

Hi all

My name is Pierre, I've just joined although have been following the blog for a couple of months. I am in Skokie, pretty much on the border of Chicago. I am South African, been in Chicago since late 2019, moved here with my wife, two dogs, two cats and my wargaming / boardgaming collection.

I cut my teeth on modern and science fiction miniature gaming many (!) years ago - Laserburn, Firefight, Combat Commander and Dirtside II. Got into Warmaster when it was launched, unfortunately it didn't get big in SA. Then life intruded and I shifted to boardgaming - spent a lot of time with Squad Leader and Up Front and from there into other types of boardgames. RPGs got a look in as I get older and work demands reduced my time availability (and easier as well when Covid hit).

Since moving to the US and with rulesets such as Barons War, Gangs of Rome, Clash of Spears / Katanas I am keen to rekindle the miniature gaming again (well, and would not say no to boardgames / rpgs, really any kind of gaming). I do have a strong interest in Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Judge Dredd and Ancients. I am willing to pretty much try any ruleset and era, any scale as well. Interestingly enough, I have not played Warhammer Fantasy or 40K but have played the Space Hulk and Space Crusade boardgames.

And yes, I am that person with way too many minis that are on sprues and / or unpainted. And unbuilt terrain.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:48 pm

Hi Pierre, I'm in Jefferson Park, so probably not far from you.

I enjoy Full thrust, but have not played GZG's land based games. We have played Tomorrow's War, which has some similarities. I'm up for playing Warmaster or an ancients game too.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:47 pm

Welcome Pierre,
Hope you can join us soon. No shame in an unpainted pile. We've all fallen in that hole.
-Karl

Return to “Non-Gaming talk”