September 8, 2016- Wasteman playtest

Anything gaming related is fair game.
jlopatin
Karled

September 8, 2016- Wasteman playtest

Postby jlopatin » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:43 am

Last night, we finally got around to playing Wasteman, an over the top post apocalyptic skirmish game. Wasteman takes all possible post apoc tropes, cranks them to 11, and then adds a heaping spoonful of chaos on top.

It has a very simple and fast playing D10 based ruleset. The neat twist to this game is the stack of MAD cards. At the start of the game, each player draws 5 cards. They can play these cards at any time to add bizarre, over the top random elements .

We played a simple brawl scenario using Wasteman starter sets. Since Neither Tim, nor I have finished painting our models, we substituted other models from our collections.

I was playing as the Lunar Coalition (proxy models from Infinify):
wasteman-2.jpg

Tim was playing a gang of Kritters:
wasteman-3.jpg

We were fighting over a fantastic shanty town with an irradiated marketplace at the center:
wasteman-1.jpg

Each turn, a player is allowed 5 model activations. Players alternate activating models. I started with the initiative, and moved my leader forward. Tim moved one of his Kritters towards the same location. I followed up by moving one of my Mediators to the same area, and with a couple of fantastic rolls, causing the first casualty of the game:
wasteman-4.jpg

One of Tim's creatures had an ability that allowed him to push any models a number of inches in any direction. He used this power to move some of my guys into a straight line:
wasteman-6.jpg

He planned to follow up with another creature who has a laser attack that hits all enemies in it's path. I played an "oil slick" card that halved his movement in the hopes of keeping him from getting into position. This failed, so I played a "tornado" card which allowed me to move him 10 inches in any direction. I moved him 10 inches away and behind deep cover to protect my guys. CHAOS!

After this Tim's leader tried to sneak up behind my crew. He hid behind a wall:
wasteman-5.jpg

My heavy gunner killed a flying squid, and took a crazy potshot through the wall at Tim's leader. Serious injury! he was down! At this point, i had him down to 2 minis, and thought I had the game in the bag.

For Tim's next activation, he played a medical treatment card and healed his leader! The leader ran to regroup with his friends. I tried to shoot him in the back:
wasteman-7.jpg

I missed. Uh oh:
wasteman-8.jpg

He ran directly into the middle of my group, and played the "blown mind" card. This turned his leader into a walking atom bomb. Many incredible rolls later, and my whole squad was down:
wasteman-9.jpg

Tim won. It happened so fast. I was taken aback at first, but the more i think about it, the more I realized it was an incredible way to lose a game.

I am looking forward to playing Wasteman again. It has character creation rules, so we plan on creating custom warbands of 8-12 minis (at Wasteman's creator, Jason's suggestion) for the next game.

Tim, what did you think?
- Josh

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: September 8, 2016- Wasteman playtest

Postby timlillig » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:39 pm

I thought it was a very fun game. A bit random, but in a way that makes for cooky fun. I really like the art and layout that went into making it, even though things are hard to find sometimes. I'm looking forward to digging into it a bit more.
-Tim

PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Re: September 8, 2016- Wasteman playtest

Postby PatrickWR » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:44 pm

Great battle report guys! This game sounds like it is everything I hoped/expected it to be. Zany, crazy, and fast playing.

Return to “Let's talk about games!”