Rogue Stars and other Sci-Fi Skirmish rules

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Rogue Stars and other Sci-Fi Skirmish rules

Postby Chivenger » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:59 am

Counterblast has released a new version of their skirmish rules, then the next day there was an update. I have some cool minis for the game, but I am not sure I want to learn the CB rules if they are going to be updating constantly.

What are some good Sci-Fi Skirmish rules the group has tried?

Has anyone bought or tested Rogue Stars? We all like Andrea's work. But before I bought the PDF, I thought I would see if anyone has taken a look yet.

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Rogue Stars and other Sci-Fi Skirmish rules

Postby timlillig » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:47 pm

I' m expecting to get it any time now, but I have not actually seen the book yet. I'll let you know when I do, I'm looking forward to reading it.

Other sci fi games we have enjoyed include:
Necrumunda- gang warfare in the 40k universe
Wreck age- more post apocalyptic than what you might think of as sci fi.
Shock force/ War Engine- for a slightly larger group of figures
Tomorrow's war- hard sci fi military
Blasters and Bulkheads- supersystem rewritten as star wars

Of those, I think you would like Blasters and Bulkheads, plus maybe Wreck age or Shock Force.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:51 pm

I also ordered Rogue Stars but it hasn't arrived yet. Should be here shortly. It looks cool, but it's a VERY small model count game. I think 4 figs or less per player.

I wasn't terribly interested in the counterblast rules, but there's a couple of space lionmen that I might pick up some day.

What size game are you looking for? Alot of the games Tim listed are really good, but are platoon sized except necromunda and Wreck Age.

I like Necromunda ALOT but it's not everyone's cup-o-tea. For a similarly sized game that plays very fast I still like In The Emperor's Name, it's written as a 40k universe game, but it's a great generic sci-fi game with a full unit creation mechanic.

We're looking at doing at Wreck age campaign in early 2017.
-Karl

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am

I played a bit of counterblast with Terrance a while back and IIRC we actually enjoyed the rules. It's been long enough that I don't remember the detail, but I would definitely be willing to play again. Definitely in for more sci fi skirmish. Going to setup a game this coming year for a cooperative anti terminator romp and need to pick a suitable ruleset. Perhaps one of those suggested below would work. Just need to finish the aerial HK models.

I also really really want to try out Eden and Dark Age which are both somewhere between sci-fi and post-apoc. I have models and rules. I will get a day on the calendar for one of these in an off Wreck-Age Campaign night somewhere in Jan - March. Obviously proxy is fine as always for anyone who doesn't have models.

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:17 pm

Saw a review posted earlier and it answered my main question: What kind of dice? I am happy they are not using d6. I will be curious to see how d20 work in this system. The modifiers will be the thing.

Here is a link to the review. http://mustcontainminis.blogspot.it/201 ... stars.html

Next for me will be to wait to see how many more typos will be found in the Rogue Star book and when will they update the PDF. It's a shame that game publishers place such a low emphasis on QC. When it's just something Andrea publishes himself, I can be more understanding. But this is an established publishing company and they are already talking about a FAQ or update. Not encouraging to try a new ruleset.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks for the link, that's a very good review of the book and answered some questions I had about the game.

I got my Rogue Stars book and figs (bought the ad-on 5 fig set) a couple days ago. I'm not as much worried about the typos as the lack of a QRS and roster Saeet. Osprey has said there will be one out soon, but until they do there are just enough tables in this game that without a QRS of some sort it may be unplayable. That is, without spending half the game rulebook flipping, something I am loath to engage in.

Still looking forward to trying it out. The core mechancs seem solid and well thought out and after spending time with TBH a very-low-model-count Sci-fi ruleset is very intriguing.
-Karl

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:46 pm

Happy New Year all. To answer your question, I was thinking from four to eight minis, some kind of squad based game.

Glad to hear you like what you see in Rogue Star. I really liked the opposed d10 rolls of Counterblast and the dice modifications were fun. The rules just seems to be in constant flux, so I am taking a wait and see approach on that one.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:36 pm

4 to 8 figs sounds just right for Rogue Stars.

It's a different setting entirely, but if you're looking for some small-warband wargaming, we'll probably be starting the WreckAge compagin late January or so.
-Karl

PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Postby PatrickWR » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Hey guys. Just FYI I will be trying out Rogue Stars next weekend. Look for a blog post review afterwards.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:40 pm

PatrickWR wrote:Hey guys. Just FYI I will be trying out Rogue Stars next weekend. Look for a blog post review afterwards.

Excellent! Do you guys have a QRS worked out?
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”