Runewars: Daqan Army Finished!

Show us your painted mans!
Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu May 04, 2017 10:36 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Continuing on from my previous post, which showed the miniatures before dipping, last week I put the finishing touches on my Daqan army. Spearmen Usually I use a brush to apply the "dip", however for the first time ever I did the classic immersion dip. I dunked the entire figure into a tin of Minwax Polyshades Satin Antique Walnut that I had added just a bit of mineral spirits to. Then I shook it vigorously to remove excess dip. I set them on their base and after I had dipped each set of 8, I took a cheap brush and brushed off ...

PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Postby PatrickWR » Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 am

Looks great, Karl! I really like the unified look of the army now that it's complete. And it's nice to know that the classic "dip" method actually works.

For me, the jury is still out on those click-together movement trays. Is it possible to play the game without them?

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Runewars: Daqan Army Finished!

Postby timlillig » Thu May 04, 2017 11:57 am

Movement is tied to the shape of the bases, unfortunately. So, to work around the bases you would also have to adjust the movement templates.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri May 05, 2017 7:51 am

I think you could play the game without the official bases, but you'd have to come up with similarly shaped (aprox 2.5 inch square) bases/trays for each unit and you'd have to cut some new templates (easy enough to do) with a cuve that matches the curve without the depth of the puzzle trays.

Of course for casual play it'd be easy enough to fudge it with the included templates, but you'd still have to make the activation dials and print some upgrade cards.

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Runewars: Daqan Army Finished!

Postby timlillig » Fri May 05, 2017 10:36 am

At that point you are almost making your own game.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri May 05, 2017 6:44 pm

That's true. It'd be a fair bit of work.
The rules are free to download, and enough of the cards and dials are shown various places, that if you bought the upcoming "essentials" pack which has templates, counters, dice, etc. You could play for a nominal fee.

I actually like the locking trays for this game. They hold the units together and interact well with the templates to give very precise movement options. I don't mind buying the figs with dials, though that might not be true for folks who arent' interested in the avaialble factions. Luckily, for indie-style gaming I've still got Kings of War, Dragon Rampant and Song of Blades.

Return to “Photo Gallery”