Shadow War Armageddon?

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Shadow War Armageddon?

Postby Eilif » Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 am

timlillig wrote:When I was at Games Plus, they mentioned that the Sunday Kill Team group is switching to Shadow War some time soon.

That's good and should open the game to alot more players, especially former 40k'ers as kill team requires that you have the 40k rulebook and codicies and of course all Shadow War requires is some figs and the SW rulebook.

I'll write a bit about it after my first game, but after having read much of it I'm not sure I'll do a separate review of the book anymore. It really is just Necromunda with a much more stripped down campaign system. Still like it alot but there appear to be almost no changes to the rules.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue May 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Here's a google docs listbuilder for Shadow War.
As far as I know it isn't for building rosters, but just for tallying points. Very usefull though, especially for messing about with the points values of different configurations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ShadowWarArmag ... m-comments
-Karl

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Wed May 17, 2017 3:15 am

Cool, I ordered the book online today and will check out some options when I read up on it. I have some genestealer hybrids, but I feel like when I read various forums that they may seem like too popular of a faction for my taste. I have unbuilt Harlequins from the Death Masque box that I feel would be fun to paint. Their fluff always intrigued me; the vision of these clownish, utterly alien acrobats dealing death and destruction on a haze filled, barren battlefield. I'll have to see how else to flesh them out, as I don't have a mass of Eldar stuff.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 17, 2017 8:36 am

Yeah, Genestealers do seem pretty popular. I can't help myself though as I've been wanting genestealer cult since the first 40k book I read which was the yellow RT book with the Genestealer Cult Army list.

If you have death masque, you probably already have more than enough figs for a Shadow War faction.
-Karl

PatrickWR
Blogmaster Emeritus

Postby PatrickWR » Wed May 17, 2017 1:56 pm

I'm pretty interested in Shadow War Armageddon so it's nice to hear that you guys will be exploring it via a blog post and/or review.

My local group is considering Grimdark Future: Firefight (the skirmish-level little brother of Grimdark Future, which used to be called One Page 40k) but we may stick a toe into SW:A. If anything, the terrain and models look fantastic and inspirational.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 17, 2017 5:15 pm

PatrickWR wrote:I'm pretty interested in Shadow War Armageddon so it's nice to hear that you guys will be exploring it via a blog post and/or review.

My local group is considering Grimdark Future: Firefight (the skirmish-level little brother of Grimdark Future, which used to be called One Page 40k) but we may stick a toe into SW:A. If anything, the terrain and models look fantastic and inspirational.

If it's anything like 1p40k, then Grimdark Firefight will probably be great. However, I think Shadow War looks really good and might be a great chance to open your group up to even more members, if indeed you want more members. It's also got everything you need to play in one rulebook. No need for codicies, expansions, etc. though I'm sure eventually they'll have an expansion of some sort and I'll probably buy it.

Does Firefight have significantly more detail than regular Grimdark? SW:A has alot more detail than Grimdark, but seems like alot less rules than regular 40k and based on my experience with Necromunda it should be easy to learn and fairly quick to play.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 pm

Would anyone be up for a game of shadow war art the next meeting?
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Fri May 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Hi all,
I am definitely interested in this game. Just when you think you have written them off that darn G.W. pulls you back in:) Yes, Necromunda has a great background, but Armageddon sounds like it could be good too. If I remember it was a setting for 40K games about 10 years or more ago. I think it was also a hive world as well, but the whole surface was covered by technology whereas Necromunda has a number of hive cities separated by the ash wastes. Don’t quote me on all this I would have to go through my old issues of White Dwarf to make sure. I would have a number of war bands I could use for the game and may be interested in buying some material for it too, depending on how much the group gets into it.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon May 22, 2017 10:45 am

Nothing for sure yet, but I've put forth Shadow War at my place for consideration on the May 25th meeting topic.
-Karl

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Wed May 31, 2017 8:58 pm

Did you guys ever get to try this yet? If so, how did it go?

Return to “Let's talk about games!”