Tabletop Minions Expo [TMX] in Wisconsin

Anything gaming related is fair game.
atomsmasher
Tabletop Minion

Tabletop Minions Expo [TMX] in Wisconsin

Postby atomsmasher » Thu May 04, 2017 1:39 pm

Hey guys, thanks for having me. I was asked to post here about the very small convention I'm starting up in Oshkosh, WI (which is where I live). I'm calling it Tabletop Minions Expo (TMX for short) and this year will certainly be a 'beta test' of sorts. Mainly because Matt won't be there as he'll be in Iceland. But also because there was a miscommunication with the staff and there were 'issues' which have now mostly been solved.

I used to run a generalist tabletop gaming convention in Oshkosh called OshCon from 2001 to 2012, so this (luckily) isn't my first rodeo. I quit running the convention because I was going to be starting my YouTube channel in 2013 and wanted to focus my time (my wife has pointed out the irony in starting a new convention now, believe me).

The point of the expo is to be all about tabletop wargaming, and I want to make it mostly about demo games, house rules, multiplayer games and narrative events, and more. No tournaments, basically. I want people to learn about new games or new ways of thinking about the games they already play.

I also want to limit vendors to be just game and game accessory manufacturers. Game designers, terrain makers, template and accessory companies, and stuff like that. No retail stores, because I feel I'd like to give more weight to the companies that make games and game stuff.

Eventually I'd like to have classes and seminars, as well. This year, the only class will probably be pro-painter Sam Lenz doing some freeform teaching, and I might do something about YouTubery and the stuff behind that. I'm also planning to do my live Every Other Sunday Show from the convention on Sunday morning, so we'll see how that goes with an audience.

So please check out the website at http://www.tabletopminions.org/tmx (I just got it updated with the ability to take events and such on Tuesday night) and post some events if you'd like to run something. As it says on the website, GMs get a free weekend pass if they run at least four hours of events. Also, vending tables are $30 for the weekend and include two weekend passes. Lastly, there's dorm-style housing available in the same building as the expo for $40 a night (two twin beds and more!) so it's pretty cheap to stay there.

If you've got any questions, post 'em here or email me directly at atom AT tabletopminions DOT org and I'll try and answer them. Thanks again!
Tabletop Minions - A YouTube channel about tabletop wargaming and the miniatures hobby, mostly.

jlopatin
Karled

Re: Tabletop Minions Expo [TMX] in Wisconsin

Postby jlopatin » Fri May 05, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks, Atom!

I am not sure yet if I can make the trip out there, but I am looking forward to seeing the schedule fill.

I really dig the concept.
- Josh

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri May 05, 2017 10:32 am

I'm also interested, but also not sure I'll be able to make the trip.
-Tim

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri May 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Josh and I decided to go and signed up to run a game of The Walking Dead.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon May 22, 2017 9:25 am

timlillig wrote:Josh and I decided to go and signed up to run a game of The Walking Dead.

Very cool.
We may be on vacation that week, but I might decide to attend last-minute. If I can't make it I'll be looking forward to hearing what your experience was like. If I had a more sure schedule, this would probably be a great venue to run Mech Attack.
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”