Spartan Games Shut Down?

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Spartan Games Shut Down?

Postby Chivenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:28 am

Listening to Plan of ATK and they said Spartan Games has shut down. Seem to recall a few fans in here.

Sad to hear but there may be some deals in the near future for their games.

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Spartan Games Shut Down?

Postby timlillig » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:11 am

It seems like a lot of their stuff has been on clearance for a while in the US. Maybe that is just older stuff, I have not kept up with what they make. I think they did most of their production in house, so they might not have much sitting around to dump. I guess we'll see.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:59 am

Minaiture Market has had a fair bit of their stuff on clearance. I bet more will be added now.

I wasn't a buyer of any of their products but it's always sad to see another game company go down.

Mega Minis (aka Johnnyborg Castings) finally closed it's doors for good after their last kickstarter a couple months ago, though that was expected and long foretold by Johnny.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:35 pm

Same episode also had the US manager of Dust on for a lengthy interview about the game and gaming in general. May have to take another look at DUST.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:42 pm

Yeah, I had not realized Dust was an ongoing thing still until I saw stuff about them from Gencon.

If the current iteration of the game looks good, let me now.
-Tim

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:58 pm

I was mistaken, I thought the group was already playing Dust when I posted that. I just realized that the game I was thinking of is Konflikt '47

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:17 pm

I liked a few of the Spartan franchises. Halo Ground Command is an excellent 15mm system...and is undergoing the opposite of a clearance right now with ppl scalping what remaining rare pieces you can find. Luckily, I liked the game enough to invest in one of essentially every unit as they released! :D Unfortunately, they didnt have a chance to really create a lot of diversity in the system, which is a shame because another faction or two would have been welcomed.
Firestorm Armada has some really cool space fleets. I think it was meant to fill the gap left by Battlefleet Gothic. Same with Uncharted Seas vs Man O War.
They also did a 10mm ground combat, Firestorm Planetfall, which I think got abandoned for the Halo system. These pieces were on clearance many times.
Dystopian Wars was the same, low demand I suppose.

I also have some of their mdf and resin scenery kits which are pretty nice. It's a shame to see a company with such a diverse catalog crumble like that, but I did always feel they stretched themselves far too thin, and were notorious for abandoning systems after a lot of hype.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Chivenger wrote:I was mistaken, I thought the group was already playing Dust when I posted that. I just realized that the game I was thinking of is Konflikt '47

Konflikt '47 is the game we've been playing though I think some of us may be using Dust Minis. Did the interview talk about the upcoming expansion? I'm very interested since as well as new factions (Japanese and Finns) we may also be getting new heavy mechs for each faction.
-Karl

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:25 am

Eilif wrote: I'm very interested since as well as new factions (Japanese and Finns) we may also be getting new heavy mechs for each faction.

For Dust? I don't recall them talking too much about the future of that game. They may have talked about it in passing.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:16 am

Chivenger wrote:
Eilif wrote: I'm very interested since as well as new factions (Japanese and Finns) we may also be getting new heavy mechs for each faction.

For Dust? I don't recall them talking too much about the future of that game. They may have talked about it in passing.

For Konflikt '47. The upcoming expansion reportedly has at least 2 new factions and new units for everyone.

I'll never get into Dust as a game. I love many of the minis but Paolo switches rulesets and manufacturers like a crazy person.
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”