A Hazardous Wind: Gaslands Impressions

Here is where you will find our bat-reps, complete with photos!
gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:45 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Ah, who else remembers the good ol' days of snake shaped racing cars that could unleash explosive barrages and hit ramps with enough speed to jump and successfully land hundreds of feet away with the driver's spine still intact only to live and fight another day? Fine summer afternoons spent with automotive carnage (;D) and juiceboxes. Well the decades have come and gone, and once more I find myself playing with toy hotwheels! I venture forth in to: Gaslands! While the name might also conjure up uncomfortable fast food memories, the theme of the game is really an homage to the vehicular battles ...

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 am

Nice Review Chris!
I enjoyed this game. I'm also intrigued by the possibilities for 28mm on a full size game table, but it played extremely well with hot wheels on a dining room table and the barrier to entry is extremely low.

The template system works well and I like that there is no template for the car to sit on as with some other games. The lack of tokens also keeps the table nice and clean looking.

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: A Hazardous Wind: Gaslands Impressions

Postby timlillig » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, well written report. I am going to look into converting and repainting some cars. I would like to try a few games, but as i'm thinking about possible future convention games, a 28mm version of this is something i'm thinking about.
-Tim

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Oh sure, we find this game *after* I unload all those vehicles in the auction. :D

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:36 pm

Chivenger wrote:Oh sure, we find this game *after* I unload all those vehicles in the auction. :D

I felt almsot all the same way. I had a whole Hot Wheels suitcase filled with vehicles I had bought for the Car combat rules I never finished writing. Most had been disassembled and stripped of paint. About a year and a half ago I gave it up and sold them all...

I will make this offer to anyone since I think there is some interest in doing this game 28mm. I have a TON of 1/48 and 1/43 vehicles in a wide variety of types. If you commit to converting and/or painting them up I'll give 2-3 for free to any member that has interest. It's likely that I can find vehicles that match your interest and even provide bits for conversion if required.
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:21 am

Hi all,
I saw this game online and gave it a quick look over at Games Plus. It seemed a little rules heavy for my liking, but I didn’t get a chance to read the rules in depth. I have been looking for a Mad Max style game for years now. I have downloaded a few free rules systems, but have not gotten a chance to try any of them yet. I do have a number of Hot Wheels vehicles I have painted up in a Road Warrior style. I also picked up a couple of 1/56 scale dune buggy like vehicles that I am planning on converting and painting in the Mad Max style for post-apocalyptic gaming, so I would be willing to give the rules system a try.
Michael

Chivenger
Details and Drybrush

Postby Chivenger » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Well, after getting thumped and good at X-Wing Friday I finally got to see Gaslands in action late Saturday night and I am in. I know two other gamers who are interested in the game and will be encouraging them to join up with CSW for future fun.

I might also have a set of rules on order at Games Plus and might have placed an order of skid dice and templates from Thomas Wynn Studio.

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:02 pm

Don't be intimidated Mike, Gaslands is highly approachable. The ruleset really isn't difficult. I would say the main thing I've seen players have a little confusion with is the multiple activations based on what gear you are in. I don't know if it's just a weird concept for first timers or what, because the "turn structure" is a bit unique, but once you play a turn it's quite intuitive.
Any of the perceived complexity with charts, etc is likely during car/team building, which is not uncommon for indy games where you're customizing you characters. (Or, in this case, Car-acters, har har!)

Gmoney
Primed

Postby Gmoney » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Googling Gaslands, came across your blog. I've gotta group of 4 other guys (+ me) starting a campaign/race season, Monday, August 3rd @ Games+ beginning at 6PM HMU if you'd like to join or want more info.

Return to “After Action Battle Reports”