Bovington Tank Museum - A Chicago Wargamer in London

Discuss anything unrelated to gaming...
mpc2160
Wild Thing

Postby mpc2160 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:10 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

My trip to London may have been scheduled around Salute 2018, but I had trips planned out for every day of my stay. I am the boring historical player in the group and I was a history teacher for a while, so of course I went in search of old things to see. So please follow along for a break from our regularly scheduled gaming news as I explore some actual history... I promise to at least try connecting it to gaming! England is home to a hidden gem for fans of armored fighting vehicles, but it's a pain to get ...

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 09, 2018 11:01 am

Awesome!
What a spectacular collection and great to see so many preserved indoors. Places like Cantigny and Russel Military Museum are great to visit, but most of their stuff is outdoors year round and unlikely to ever be operable or "museum quality" again.

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Bovington Tank Museum - A Chicago Wargamer in London

Postby timlillig » Wed May 09, 2018 11:29 am

It does look like a fun place to see, although quite out of the way for most people visiting London.

We've talked about taking a group trip to some of the local sites, we should try to organize that again.
-Tim

Detson
Basecoated

Postby Detson » Thu May 10, 2018 1:00 pm

Very neat! Britain has so many great military museums. I've heard that the Royal Armory Museum in Leeds is incredible, also.

mpc2160
Wild Thing

Re: Bovington Tank Museum - A Chicago Wargamer in London

Postby mpc2160 » Fri May 11, 2018 6:30 am

It really was a pain to get to but is so worth it. The collection they have is amazing and in so many cases they have the only example left in the world. Although most of the Tigers were only there on loan and the Russians haven't coughed up their Maus yet. They also do a number of special event days where you get to see the historic vehicles running. I wish I could have seen that but they tend to sell out for those days.

Return to “Non-Gaming talk”