AAR/Review- A Trial Run through Kobolds and Cobblestones

Here is where you will find our bat-reps, complete with photos!
timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:39 am

The following is an excerpt of a blog article.  Read Full Article

Chris and I recently got together for a game of Kobolds and Cobblestones. It is number 21 in Osprey's line of games that I often call "little blue miniatures games." This one is set in the criminal underground of a sort of neutral city where various standard fantasy races live in an uneasy peace. The players portray a potential new crime boss trying to make a name for himself. This allows for a wide variety of miniatures to be used, which is always fun. Chris brought some of his Frostgrave collection, mixing human henchmen with what would normally be wandering ...

Detson
Basecoated

Postby Detson » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:33 am

Thanks for the great review! Sorry for the non-sequitur, but how did you all make those rock formations? They're really realistic!

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: AAR/Review- A Trial Run through Kobolds and Cobblestones

Postby timlillig » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:43 pm

Chis supplied the terrain, so he would know for sure, but I believe they are Gale Force 9 Rocky Hills.
-Tim

gattz
Final Highlights

Re: AAR/Review- A Trial Run through Kobolds and Cobblestones

Postby gattz » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:09 pm

The larger hills are indeed Gale Force 9 Battlefield In A Box hills. They're relatively cheap and have tons of utility because they're mostly flat sections, so models can balance on them. (An often overlooked detail for terrain makers!). They come with the flocking, which is just glued on in various spots, but I did repaint them slightly with some highlights and browning on the edges for added realism.
The smaller rocks, tree bases, and water areas are resin casts from Worldsmith Industries. He'a had a few small kickstarters which is where I got those from. I painted all of that also, since they were just resin gray, and added some water effects to the pond.
I may have to do a terrain painting tutorial sometime, but the process for natural formations tends to be pretty easy.
You can also craft formations on your own very similar to these using a sharp razor, foam, sand/latex paint, and possibly some natural elements such as pine bark for some extra detailing (which also works amazing on display bases). :) I did a hills tutorial for Ghost Archipelago not too long ago.

Return to “After Action Battle Reports”