Game Night 11/29/21 Please RSVP!

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Game Night 11/29/21 Please RSVP!

Postby Eilif » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:01 pm

Update 11/10/21; November 29th is going to be the game night for KoW and possibly other games. See all info here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=638&start=70#top
and please RSVP

Hey Folks,
I am getting a bit of a KoW itch. I've got the new rulebook on the way and I think having even one game on the horizon -even without a solid game date- would give me the impetus to finish off my second large fantasy army.

So, let me know if anyone would like to commit to a KoW game at an unknown point mid 2021.

If you don't have an army you could use my Chaos army which fields well with the Varangur list and possibly some minor additions from Herd and/or Abbysal Dwarfs lists.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Post-Covid Kings of War?

Postby timlillig » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:43 pm

I've been thinking painting to an army list might be nice.

I do have one condition:. I would like to try an additional mass fantasy game. There are things about Kings of War that don't sit right with me and I want to compare them to something different. I'm not sure which game yet, I will figure that out asap.

So, I'm in as long as we can play two games. Probably not on the same day, let's say within a month of each other.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am

I'd be onboard for 2 different games.

Have you looked at "Age Of Fantasy: Regiments"?
https://onepagerules.com/portfolio/age- ... regiments/
I've heard that it and the other OPR rules are well playtested.

What army are you thinking of doing?
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:06 pm

Age of Fantasy: Regiments is one I'm looking at. I watched an introductory video that made it seem too stripped down, but they were probably leaving out a lot, so I will get the rules and read them.

I will probably start by making an undead army, expanding on Runewars, zombicide, and other stuff I have painted already. I painted a bunch of GW tree people last winter, so if I can get them into an army, that will be my second project.

Here is the rest of my current short list for possible games:
Sword & Spear
Fantasy Warriors
Mayhem
Warlords of Erehwon
Hordes of the Things

Dragon Rampant & Saga Age of Magic could be on the list, and I like them both, but they are smaller games.

A couple of those we have played before and a couple I still need to get my hands on. Any thoughts on those?
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:49 am

Thoughts

Sword & Spear . Never heard of it.
Fantasy Warriors. This one I read a long time ago. I'd give it a shot. Old School.
Mayhem: Never heard of it
Warlords of Erehwon. This one looks cool.
Hordes of the Things. Was not particularly impressed the first time we played. A game I really wanted to like, but left me feeling meh.
Dragon Rampant. I own and love this game.
Saga Age of Magic. I'd give it a shot.

For Sword and Spear, Warlords and Saga I'd be willing to play, but we'd have to use your books. They don't seem to have free starter rules online.

For Kings of War 3 the core rules are free at the website, I'll send you the army list pages for Undead when the rulebook arrives.

One other interesting thing of note. It looks like FFG is blowing out Runewars. Amazon and Miniaturemarket are somewhat following suit, so between those 3 you can find almost any RW unit for half price. I'm considering picking up some more crossbowmen to get near horde strength. Kow now has an acceptable minimum of figs-per-unit of 75% of recommended so every Runewars pack of 8 can fill a 10 man troop.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:15 pm

I'm waiting for a copy of Sword and Spear, so I don't have a strong opinion on it. The author's web site http://polkovnik.moonfruit.com/sword-sp ... 4593775369 does not say much about it, but it gets mentioned on Lead Adventure as an option and was praised on Meeples and Miniatures from time to time.

I've read Mayhem recently. It uses various dice shapes and has some interesting mechanics. The rules are probably a bit fiddly and could use some editing and examples. https://bombshell-games.com/mayhem/

I think I'll read Warlords of Erehwon next and see how it goes. From what I have seen, it is similar to Bolt Action/Konflikt 47 but uses d10s.

I also like Dragon Rampant, which makes me think it might be the best choice. Wargames Illustrated had an article https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/a-l ... n-rampant/ about using it for larger battles. Basically you roll an average die (2-3-3-4-4-5) and get that many "turn over" rolls instead of just one. That makes sense, or we could have multiple commanders each with their own turn over, or some other solution for playing a larger game.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 am

Looking forward to seeing how these pan out.

Dragon Rampant is a fine set and one that I like. I'll read over the wargames illustrated article.

Running it as 2 commanders or random rolling for additional turnovers seem fine with me.

I recall that Pat and I did a similar thing with SBH years ago that worked quite well.
https://www.chicagoskirmishwargames.com ... es-heroes/

I already had bought up to 4 packs of crosbowmen at the last big sale, so I purchased 4 packs of "outland Scouts" at Amazon blowout prices. Alot is unpainted, but I've now got at least a horde (or more) of spearmen, scouts, mounted knights and elementals.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 am

My judgement on Warlords of Erehwon is that it is interesting, but does not have anything that would make it a better choice than Dragon Rampant.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:37 pm

That sounds entirely reasonable to me.

Finally read that Wargames article and it seems like basically what we were discussing regarding big games of Dragon Rampant.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm

Here is a progress report, or lack of progress report, on my Kings of War undead. My list is as follows.

Revenants (Regiment) 125
Revenants (Regiment) 125
Revenant Cavalry (Horde) 305
Skeleton Archers* (Troop) 70
Vampire Lord on Undead Dragon 315
Revenant King 80
- Mount on an Undead Horse, increasing Speed to 8 and changing to Hero (Cav - Height: 3) 25
Goreblight 175
Wraiths* (Troop) 120
Necromancer 50
Zombies (Horde) 115
Zombies (Horde) 115
Necromancer 50
-------------------------
Total Unit Strength: 23
Total Units: 15
Target Points: 2000
Core (Target%): 1880 (94.0%)

There is a fair bit of room remaining for upgrades, artifacts, etc... Any thoughts on it?

I've considered dropping some of the the zombies and necromancers for more wraiths, revenants, or maybe a different hero, maybe even a third big figure. I have the humans from Runewars as cavalry. I've been intending to convert them to undead. I will probably buy some of the runewars undead cavalry to mix in also. I might source a smaller dragon too. There is a worm riding hero that I suppose I could represent with the worm riding guys from Runewars. Some vampires might be fun to paint.

I'd appreciate some feedback and seeing what everyone else is up to.
-Tim

Return to “Let's talk about games!”