Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Michael S.
Final Highlights

Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Postby Michael S. » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:04 pm

Edit By Karl June 22st
CSW Members:
Please review the thread and share your thoughts on a potential Fall Fantasy campaign that would nominally revolve around Kings of War, but would also include other fantasy games and have space for both regular and occasional attendees.

All questions and suggestions welcome, but please especially note:
- What rulesets you'd be willing or able to play
- whether you would likely be a monthly attendee or less often
- If you have a setting preference for a slightly modified Warhammer Old World or the Homebrew Quarra world we've used in the past.
-If an early Fall start is agreeable to you.
-What Factions, Warbands Or Armies you would want to participate with.

Mike has graciously agreed to run the campaign so let's give him all the support and information we can.

Lastly, There is the possibility of a second monthly game night starting in the Fall, but I'll start a separate thread about that later

Hi all,
Since we have been playing KOW, since Karl was gracious enough to have us start playing again at his place, I have been thinking about us doing a KOW campaign. There are a number of ways we could do one. As far as the background story is concerned we can use the world of Pannithor, the map / world that was created for our SOBH games a few years back or the old world of Warhammer Fantasy. If we don’t want to go with those, we can always put something else together.

For keeping track of the campaign one system I saw in the old General's Compendium from G.W. that I have is a map laid out in sections. Everyone would get one section as their starting ‘kingdom’ and play against others to expand their kingdoms. Each section could have a special benefit such as a mine which allows ore to pay for say one more unit when the player holds that section. I thought the map with markers representing each player looked cool.

We could even include skirmish games along with the KOW game. Say you wanted to attack someone's castle, you could play a skirmish game with raiders sneaking over the walls to open the gate for the army. Depending on if they did that or not certain benefits or deficiencies could take place and then the next game would be a full blown KOW game. If we include the ability for mixed KOW and skirmish games we have a number of options as well. We could use the Mantic fantasy skirmish game, Vanguard. We could use SOGH or maybe One Page Rules fantasy skirmish game.
Lots to think about. Let's throw out some ideas.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: KOW Campaign

Postby Eilif » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:05 pm

I love these ideas Mike.

I'm fine with whatever folks prefer for details, but here's my initial preferences.

-Warhammer old world as setting, possibly tweaked a bit if folks want to do something unique in regards to army/background/etc. Alternatively, it could be fun to revisit the world of our past campaigns.

-Other scope games are a great idea. I'm partial to Dragon Rampant and Song of Blades and Heroes, but I'd be willing to give various One Page rulesets a try and folks could use any rules they want.

-I always prefer to involve as many folks as possible. Theres perhaps room for folks without a large army or with less schedule availability to undertake missions for the ”major powers”. Maybe Chris wants to play some Brutal Quest, or Mattias would like to cook something up ...
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:39 pm

Hey Karl,
I like your idea of having players with smaller forces / less time undertaking missions with players who are ‘major powers’. This opens up all kinds of campaign ideas / development. Just going with G.W.s Warhammer Fantasy Old World, you can have a major power doing an expedition to Khemri, the Old World’s ‘Egypt’. From the Empire to Khemri you would pass through the land of the Border Princes. This is a lawless area with small independent ‘kingdoms’. A small mercenary band from a border prince could play as either a help or a hindrance to an expeditionary force. You could also have a small force helping as ‘guides’ for a larger power when they get to Khemri. These smaller forces could have a secret agenda of their own that they are working on. Love to hear some other players ideas.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:23 pm

That all sounds great! There's so many races in the old world and also some less-developed minor areas that we could easily involve most any army, including stuff like MIke's GoT and Tim's Tharks. Of course our homebrew Quarra setting would work well also.

This sort of mixed campaign probably has more overall value as a narrative than a precise measure of a player's ability, but that fits my preferences just fine, and we can always include a more basic tally of a specific player's Win/Loss/Tie record as we have in the past.

Would love to hear what others have to say.

Mike, do you have interest in being the organizer and record keeper for this campaign?
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:01 am

Hi Karl,
Yes I would be willing to be the organizer / record keeper for a campaign. Once others send in their suggestions / ideas I can start putting one together if you like.
Michael

Return to “Let's talk about games!”