Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Anything gaming related is fair game.
gattz
Final Highlights

Re: Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Postby gattz » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:34 pm

I've got more-or-less 2k worth of Ogres/Gobbos at this point depending on how I configure them so I should be good for some larger battles. It's also a growing army...so I may push quite a ways past that in a month's time.
I'll have to write up some fluff.

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:40 pm

I've also got terrain that can probably cover any scenario. Fantasy villages, jungle ruins, frosty wastelands, boats, desert, forests, dungeons, mats for just about anything. Many worlds sleep in the basement.

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:04 am

Hi Mattias,
Thank you for the suggestion. This is how I want the campaign to run. I have a lot of skirmish scenarios that can be used. I have just about every scenario for Mordheim that an online fan had converted to SOBH; I have played a number of them. I printed them out and they fill two full size binders! I also have some scenarios for Warhammer Fantasy Battles skirmish. There is a book that came out when G.W. was putting out information on how to skirmish in the Warhammer world that I have. I loved that since you did not have to have a full size Warhammer army. I also have skirmish scenarios from White Dwarf. I am still working though on how we may incorporate skirmishers. I have scenarios, but still working on how these would play out. Would just players with small forces play each other? Would players with full size armies play some scenarios too? I know you wrote that small forces shouldn’t win the campaign, but is there some other incentive for them? In another posting you did you wrote about what skirmish system to use. I am thinking SOBH, which our group has a heavy investment in. Although if two people are playing a skirmish game I would think they could use any rules system that they agree on. It would be the outcome that would affect the campaign.

Reviewing a number of campaign rules I have found some where the campaign rules are almost a game unto themselves. They incorporate such things as taxes from different sizes of municipalities, baggage trains for your armies, razing of developed areas, armies zones of control, forced marches, etc. I am working to distill this down to a simpler campaign system, which I think members are interested in. Incorporating skirmishers is part of this. After we play this campaign we can review how it went and if we want to do another one we can make it more involved. If that is what members would like.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:41 am

Really appreciate all the work you're doing Mike.

I would say, craft the level of complexity that you would enjoy managing. I think we'd appreciate and enjoy whatever level of granularity or simplicity you decide on, but we really want you to not feel over burdened.

We've never had a problem with simplicity and trusting the GM when things arise if that's the direction you want to go.

I agree that for skirmish battles we should leave choice of rules up to the participants and as you suggest, having the outcome affecting the campaign IIRC, there were a couple different rules sets that participants were looking at.

I just got a PDF of 172 pages of White Dwarf scenarios for WHFB that I'd be happy to share.

Mattias, did you have a ruleset in mind?
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:26 pm

Hi all,
Here is an updated spreadsheet for the Campaign.
Michael
Attachments
Border Princes Campaign.xlsx
(12.16 KiB) Downloaded 60 times

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:25 am

Cool!
I can easily field 2k points.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:04 am

I'm not really interested in Kings of War enough to commit to a campaign. I can participate as a third part in scenarios or play skirmish games.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:09 am

timlillig wrote:I'm not really interested in Kings of War enough to commit to a campaign. I can participate as a third part in scenarios or play skirmish games.

Tim,
I think I can speak for all of us to say that while we'll miss seeing a table full of your wild armies, we'd love to have you involved in any way you'd be willing to participate. There will definitely be chances for third player scenarios and skirmish play.
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:16 pm

Hi Tim,
I am sorry you will not be fielding an army for the campaign. Although as Karl wrote there will be room for skirmish games.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:19 am

No pressure Mike, but are you ready to start the campaign on the 12th?
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”