Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Fall Fantasy Campaign Planning

Postby Michael S. » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:56 am

Hi Karl,
We should be able to start. I am putting some things together for the campaign though. If everything is not ready we can still start and maybe everyone can give their input and changes can be made as the campaign plays out, especially after our first meeting.

I am compiling rules for the campaign using material from G.W. stuff, the Mantic 2nd Edition rules that you sent me, group member’s ideas, material I have read on the internet and my own ideas. I bought a frame to put the campaign map in, magnetic sheets to go behind it and smaller magnets to mark positions on it. The frame edges don’t want to stay on and the magnets seem to be too weak to stick. O well still working on it:) I also finished painting my unit of chaos warriors which should replace the orc allies unit I have been using. I have a few beastmen models I am working on to help fill in some units as well.

I am trying to make this a simply campaign and not get too out of hand :D
Michael

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:30 pm

Michael,

A few questions. For the first night, I assume we will work out some of the detail while we are there, but going to ask as it is:

- How do we plan to determine our starting location on the map, and do we have to be adjacent to whomever we end up fighting
- For army building purposes, will there be any limitations on army creation for the campaign start? Not trying to game the system, but my armies tend to be monster/warmachine heavy within the army creation limitations of KoW (mostly because I like building and painting larger models much more than building and painting units). Asking in case I need to do some rush painting marathons to get ready for the campaign.
- Is there specific terrain we need to prepare/bring for the campaign start?

And for the group as a whole:
It doesn't look like it, but checking if I need to prep my Samurai themed army for someone to use? If so, I can prep a list/or I can give a list of units/unit types for whomever is using it to prep a list.

Looking forward to the campaign.
Thanks much,
JR (Jon)

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:14 am

Mike will have to answer the more specific campaign question, but so far no one has requested an army to be provided.

Also, I have terrain for most eventualities, but folks are welcome to bring their own if they have something particular in mind.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:49 pm

Hi Jon,
I hopefully will be finished in the next few days with the rules / documents for the campaign. There is one document for the rules which is looking to be five pages. A second document is mostly fluff for the various sections with special terrain features, but with some rules for them. To answer the questions you posted:

- How do we plan to determine our starting location on the map, and do we have to be adjacent to whomever we end up fighting.

For the start of the campaign we will dice off to see in what order we pick our starting fortress / home base section. Using the map I have sent out and I have a large version I will bring with, you will pick one section one space from the edge of the map and not in any of the special sections.
Basically if on the map you move into a section with another army you will then fight a KOW battle to see who keeps the section and who will need to retreat from the section.

- For army building purposes, will there be any limitations on army creation for the campaign start? Not trying to game the system, but my armies tend to be monster/warmachine heavy within the army creation limitations of KoW (mostly because I like building and painting larger models much more than building and painting units). Asking in case I need to do some rush painting marathons to get ready for the campaign.

If everyone doesn’t mind you using a ‘monster’ based army I don’t see why you can’t continue using the army you have been bringing to games.

- Is there specific terrain we need to prepare/bring for the campaign start?

After polling players to see what terrain we have I think we should have what we need. The border princes area is sort of a desolate place and we should have terrain to feature that. The one thing we may need is some sort of fort / fortification to represent that in a KOW battle. There should be some siege games where this is needed. Especially if you attempt to take someone's fortress / home base. I know Karl had written about possibly having some sort of ‘castle’ terrain. Since the border princes is a rugged area the ‘forts’ can be ruff. The G.W. book the General's Compendium, that I am basing the campaign on, shows how to make a border princes type fort using sharpened stakes and styrofoam to represent boulders for the walls. I always thought the model looked cool and I wouldn't mind building one. If you want to see how one may look you can type ‘border princes fort’ in a search engine to see some ideas for one. (If we like maybe we can make one as a group project with everyone making one or more wall sections which we can put together. Just an idea.)

Hopefully when I post the two documents that should answer most questions.
Michael

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:51 pm

Hi all,
I have attached the rules for the campaign and the rules for the special map sections. As I wrote earlier after we get together for a game night or two we may want to make some running changes. I will bring the large map. Even if I can’t find magnets to stick I can still lay the map flat and we can put our markers on it. Each section is numbered so if we have to at the end of a game day we can remove the markers for the sections that everyone controls and I can write it down and then put the pieces back on the amp the next time we meet. If everyone wants to bring special markers to represent their sections that is fine. If not I can just print out some small chits to use.
Michael
Attachments
Special Map Sections Rules.docx
(115.16 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Border Princes Campaign.docx
(51.72 KiB) Downloaded 61 times

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:59 am

Looks great Michael. I'll give the rules a more thorough read through later.

As for magnets. Is the backing already magnetic? If so I probably have some magnets we can use. If you want, we can probably leave it upright leaning against the wall on the bookshelf for the duration of the campaing.

I'll start a thread for that meeting next week.
-Karl

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi Karl,
Unfortunately the back is not magnetic. I bought magnetic sheets from Office Max, but the magnets I bought to stick on the front slide down when I put the map upright. I was going to try buying some new magnets which I hope will be stronger. If I don’t find any we can try the ones you have.
Thanks,
Michael

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:45 pm

The one thing we may need is some sort of fort / fortification to represent that in a KOW battle. There should be some siege games where this is needed. Especially if you attempt to take someone's fortress / home base.

I'm working on a 'castle in a box' type of terrain, which I hope to finish in time for the October session. I'll bring what I have so far to the meeting Monday so you can see if it would suit the purpose.

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:32 pm

I have the club castle (mage knight pieces) and some other things that can make a fort. Let me know when you want them and I will bring them.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:24 pm

timlillig wrote:I have the club castle (mage knight pieces) and some other things that can make a fort. Let me know when you want them and I will bring them.

That's a great suggestion Tim. I think either this meeting or the next would be great. looks like there' opportunity for siege fighting in the campaign Mike laid out.
-Karl

Return to “Let's talk about games!”