Karl's Project Log. 8/5 Industrial Grinder: Completed!

Show us your painted mans!
Eilif
Toybasher

Karl's Project Log. 8/5 Industrial Grinder: Completed!

Postby Eilif » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:37 am

With the hiatus for the Blog I've decided to open up a project log here for whatever gaming stuff I'm working on.

First off, I've got an aproximately G-scale mail car that I'm turning into a warehouse. I believe this was made by Lionel, though it's one of their toy product lines that run on plastic track with a battery powered engine. The entire train was at my local goodwill. Lucikly it was parted out since this was the only car useful to me and it's broken wheels meant that it was only 50 cents!

I didn't take a picture, but originally it was like this, though not nearly as detailed as the picture below is of a finely built LGB model.

MT-0474573_966fcc6c-5245-11e1-b14d-e091f5975601_00.jpg
MT-0474573_966fcc6c-5245-11e1-b14d-e091f5975601_00.jpg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 11684 times

Sometimes it's a nice challenge to see what you can kitbash just from the pieces that come with what you're bashing. Everything on this building came from the car itself. See if you can guess what came from where. Once you start hacking something up you will often find all kinds of interesting shapes that can be moved about at will.
DSC04153.JPG

It also shows that effective kitbashing doesn't always require having a huge sockpile of extra bits. Though I do and it can help.

After shortening the roof I was left with a bit of extra top walkway so I made a small platform to indicate where models might be able to climb to the roof.
DSC04157.JPG

I'll be retaining the openable -now rear-door. I also scraped off all the various handles which were much too high and a dead giveaway of the model's origins.
DSC04156.JPG

Though the "model" was of a wooden train car I wanted to make the building look like metal. Thankfully, unlike the LGB model above, this one was too cheap to have any scupted wood grain. Here you can see many of the little dings I made by poking at the building with my model knife. It's not perfectly realistic wear, but these rough dents will show their worth when drybrushing. The depths will stay dark and the edges will attract a bit of paint adding alot to the worn "look" of the model.
DSC04154.JPG

A few of the parts disassembled for painting separately. The roof walkway is a nice touch that will make it easy to put models on top.
DSC04159.JPG

This was actually a pretty easy build. I only used the tools below and the disassembly, conversion and construction was done in one evening.
DSC04160.JPG

I'll post pics of the finished building tomorrow.
-Karl

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: Karl's Project Log. 11/17:Warehouse from Traincar

Postby timlillig » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Looking good. How big is this thing? Maybe put a figure in the next set of photos.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 pm

Thanks Tim,
I've taken the finished photos already and they have a fig for scale. It's big enough that I probably should have changed the back door for scale correction. From the front though, the awning makes it look just right.
Of course you'll have to wait til tomorrow to see those pics. :D

Also I've got a little something just for you coming later in the week...
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 pm

Here's the painted warehouse.
DSC04230.JPG

DSC04228.JPG

DSC04227.JPG

DSC04226.JPG

DSC04229 copy.JPG

I'm happy with just about every aspect except for the rear door whose proportions are kind of a giveaway that it was originally a different scale. It's fun to have a functioning door though!
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:28 am

Part 3 for this week.
Another project today. This began as a plastic toy mountain that -no surprise- I found at goodwill. The top of the mountain had a molded section of track to attach to Brio/Thomas style of wooden track. I covered this in concrete mix. A black spray prime was followed by dark grey texture paint, sprinkling on more concrete mix (a mix from the hardware store with concrete sand and gravel), a wetbrush of brown, a drybrush of tan, and some matte varnish.
DSC04222.JPG

Unlike many similar toys this one has some great flat areas for putting figures on. Perfect for Wargaming!
DSC04223.JPG

DSC04224.JPG

The inside was completely hollow so I just glued in a piece of cardboard and texture painted it to create the tunnel walls.
DSC04225.JPG

I think this will fit in well with the rest of my rocky desert terrain set which includes big foam hills/cliffs, smaller Playmobile rocks and the bunker made from Thomas and Friends dock. All of which have received similar treatment as seen here.
-Karl

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Karl's Project Log. 11/19: Mountain with tunnel.

Postby Eilif » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:10 am

Here's the last project for the week.
A "little" something I've been meaning to make for Tim to complete a deal we made some time ago. Same scale and techniques that I used for my other 10mm scratchbuild buildings, but it's not based around cassette tape cases. Rather, the core of the model is a piece of a generic military action figure playset of some sort. Regardless, it was a great shape and perfect for this use.
DSC04237.JPG

DSC04235.JPG

DSC04234.JPG

DSC04231.JPG

DSC04233.JPG
-Karl

jlopatin
Karled

Re: Karl's Project Log. 11/20:10mm industrial building

Postby jlopatin » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:32 pm

I really like the door size. it doesn't look out of scale to me at all.
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:51 am

jlopatin wrote:I really like the door size. it doesn't look out of scale to me at all.

Thanks!
Are you referring to the train car building or the 10mm scratchbuild?
-Karl

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:28 am

Some very nice pieces Karl!

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:22 am

I have found my sci-fi train engine!  

Ever since I found the three cars from the Pixar train set...
http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Pixar-Buzz ... B000VHITF0
...at the resale shop I've been looking for a suitable futuristic engine to go with it.  I've taken off the characters and gathered a few bits to add some detail to the cars, but otherwise they've sat unused.

Yesterday I found the engine from this set...
http://www.amazon.com/CAT-Motorized-Con ... B00ONW34XG
...for 3 bucks.  It's a nice caricature of a diesel with enough differences to make it feel a bit future'ish. Its got plenty of detail (though I may add a few bits here and there) and its nice and big. Scales well with the Pixar cars at somewhere between O and G "size".
Future cat Engine 1.jpg

Haven't put it on any track yet, but the gauge looks to be just about the 1.25" that would make it compatible with the 3-rail O-Gauge track that I've been using for my sci-fi city setup! It's been a while, but IIRC, the Pixar cars will run on O track.

Here's what the engine looks like alongside 28mm figs. It's suitably, awesomely big.  Now I just need to pop some batteries in it and see if it runs.
Future Cat Engine profile.jpg
-Karl

Return to “Photo Gallery”