Multiplayer fantasy with 1-2 figs each (RPG'ish?)

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Eilif
Toybasher

Multiplayer fantasy with 1-2 figs each (RPG'ish?)

Postby Eilif » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:25 pm

What do you all think about Fantasy Skirmish where each player controls 1 or 2 minis in a warband setting with multiple players?

I recall some time ago we tried Dungeon Delves. I don't think I liked it much, but I still think such a game could be fun especially if we can get more than 2 players playing cooperatively. Would the answer be a very-rules-lite RPG'ish system? I'm not terribly interested in RPG'ing, but maybe something like "Tales of Blades and Heroes" would be a good option? We'd probably need a GM, yes?

I've not got the rules, but it's a very streamlined system that we're already mostly familiar with and it seems to be designed specifically for tabletop play on terrain. Thoughts?
-Karl

jlopatin
Karled

Re: Multiplayer fantasy with 1-2 figs each (RPG'ish?)

Postby jlopatin » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:39 am

this is something I would be very interested in.
- Josh

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:15 pm

I have Tales of Blades and Heroes if you want to try it. I read it when it came out, but that was a while back, so I don't quite remember how it works. I do remember thinking it looked good.

Other thoughts:
Board games like Warhammer Quest, Heroquest, or Mythic Battles might be a good option. There is a bit of growth in this area recently.
D&D 4ed (not the current edition) is basically a miniatures game, but not particularly quick to play or easy to set up from my understanding.
Some people use Savage Worlds for minis. I'm not familiar with it.
-Tim

xnickbaranx
Game Designer

Postby xnickbaranx » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:52 am

The rules engine for Broken Contract would work really well for this type of arrangement since it already works well with each person controlling 1-3 models. You'd just need to re-skin it with setting specific weapons and special rules.

If anyone wants to take the ball and run with it I'd help. :D
Broken Contract Design Blog: http://brokencontract.blogspot.com

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Thanks guys,
I'm leaning toward ToBaH since I'm such a fan of the SBH system and from what I've heard it's very compatible with the SBH books I already own. Good to know there's some interest.

I'm interested in this for two reasons.
1) I'd love to get more use out my my medieval town, and it would give me a chance to paint up some of the additional buildings I've got for it.

2) Maybe this summer's SBH campaign could be a cooperative ToBaH campaign? Perhaps with the occasional game of SBH, Dragon Rampant or even KoW tossed in for variety?

At this point it's just an idea as I've not got the experience or time to be the GM, but if someone wants to take the helm, it's an idea I'd be interested in pursuing and providing terrain for.
-Karl

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:37 am

Broken Contract is a simple game system that could easily be modified for a fantasy world and minis, but I am also interested in ToBH.

I would like to nominate Jon to GM this. I think he would do a great job.

-j
- Josh

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:59 pm

Seconded. Let me know if you need some monsters, Jon. :mrgreen:
-Tim

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:48 pm

If everyone is in agreement, I would be up GMing. I am definitely in for this type of fantasy game, it sounds like a lot of fun. I can pull something together to GM, though in full disclosure, it has been some time since the last time I played that role. Let me know if this works for everyone.

I'll pick up a copy of ToBH and get familiar with it one way or the other (since that ruleset seems to be the initial preference).

Karl's village will get plenty of play with this and we can definitely weave some of the larger scale games (SOBH, Dragon Rampant, and KoW into the campaign), using the characters as the focus consistently.

I might also have some interest in moding broken contract (with the creator's help, and assuming I can find the time) and trying that out somewhere in the campaign.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:53 pm

This sounds good to me.
You can count on me to bring whatever terrain I have, wherever it has to be, whenever I'm available.

At least a couple of us should try the game before we make any decision. If you guys end up trying out TBH this week and find it to be suitable I'm willing to go with it for the summer campaign. If we want to try it later that's fine too.
-Karl

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:05 am

Sounds good. I am picking up the rules. Depending on who attends on Thursday, we may give ToBH a try or wait until a follow-up Session.

Return to “Let's talk about games!”