quick review of Walking Dead: All Out War campaign system

Anything gaming related is fair game.
jlopatin
Karled

quick review of Walking Dead: All Out War campaign system

Postby jlopatin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:31 pm

I recently picked up the Miles Behind Us expansion for Walking Dead. This added campaign rules to the main game.

They're simple and elegant! Any character who died, is dead. Any character who survives with a zombie bite must roll a die... They have a chance of dying, but you can try to save them by amputating a limb! A survivor with an amputation will go through the remainder of the campaign with a limb appropriate penalty.

Any character that survives gets to add a single red die to any of their skills. You can also save the die to allocate at a later time. After earning new dice, each character can also trade up dice. any 2 red dice becomes a white die, and any 2 white dice becomes a blue. Stats can never have more than 3 dice at a time. You can also choose to exchange any 3 dice to upgrade a survivor's nerve, or learn a new special rule.

Each player gets 10 points for each supply counter they control or find by the end of the game. These can be used to buy new survivors or gear.

There is an underdog bonus also- For every full 15 points of difference, the group with the lower number gains a red die. The underdog can use these dice as bonus dice at any time during the game.

It is short and simple, and I am excited to try this system out!
- Josh

timlillig
Huemaster

Re: quick review of Walking Dead: All Out War campaign system

Postby timlillig » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:44 pm

It sounds fun. Since individual games go quickly, we could do a campaign over a few sessions this fall.
-Tim

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:24 pm

Nice! This sounds like a simple and flavorful cascading progession for your characters. Are there any particular trait enhancements to diversify the characters more as they level? Or what about other fluffy upgrades like a homebase, etc?
TWD overall seems to be shaping up as a really fun game though, this is definitely going to go on a future order.

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:37 pm

The special skills are pretty varied, and can diversify... I find it interesting that you have to spend valuable dice to buy skills. There is risk in it, which seems fun.
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:04 pm

This sounds pretty good and from what you've told me the rules seem very good also. Would it be possible to do a big Halloween game and then maybe continue it as a campaign if there is interest?
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 pm

damn it, my fall campaign surprise has been spoiled, but I've already got the wheels in motion. I have the beginning half of the campaign worked out, with some really neat surprises planned. We will be starting with the standard Halloween game with premade characters, and it's going to be really cool!
- Josh

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:49 pm

Sounds good. I'm in. It's been a while since we did much post-apoc-ish and it's definitely about time.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Fiveangels
Basecoated

Postby Fiveangels » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:10 pm

I would be interested in joining this campaign, I own the system and have only played solo
Blade Runner fanatic

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 pm

Fiveangels wrote:I would be interested in joining this campaign, I own the system and have only played solo

you got it! I'm planning on running some weekend games as well for people who can't make it on Thursdays.
- Josh

Return to “Let's talk about games!”