Casual CSW Blood Bowl League

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Casual CSW Blood Bowl League

Postby Mattias! » Wed May 24, 2023 3:50 pm

Greetings, Blood Bowl fans!

After having such a blast with Michael playing Blood Bowl on Monday, I thought I would put myself forward as the commissioner of a very casual ongoing Blood Bowl league for CSW.

The idea would be if anyone would like to play the odd game of BB scattered among our other club activities, we can do so in an informal league format to track our teams' progress. We can post results and roster updates here to track them over time. This way we can experience the game's intended progression (rather than starting with inexperienced players every time) but in a casual/low-stakes kind of way.

Here are links to all of the community-supported rules from before GW relaunched the game:
The Competition Rules Pack (CRP), a condensed version of the Living Rulebook, good for printing:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzWBogTmxTtxc3l4cVhhVlhzWjQ/view?usp=share_link&resourcekey=0-ytk3iDT_-WBk055PljMPvA
Living Rulebook Version 6 (LRB6), the full version with all the fluff and art: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1nBu1-4sIMQkh4KmhU94iuAJ1kA7NJ7/view?usp=share_link
Blood Bowl Sevens, rules for a faster-playing, stripped-down version of the game: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TMwJmef8DFbUkzYrGmGR0VtOF0pExNR7/view?usp=share_link
New Teams, rules for Slann, Underworld, and Chaos Pact teams: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xVKQ9HL5YnA6T8CMI025CVosRXJ3GT0j/view?usp=share_link
And here's a really good introductory tactics article:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uTDtmSEmvhLFBYnLSgStJCu-ewqFRl6x/view?usp=share_link

Finally, I plan to start painting up some of the several teams I have sitting in my lead pile. If anyone is interested in trying out this wonderful, wacky game, you are welcome to pilot one of my teams to do so!

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Casual CSW Blood Bowl League

Postby Michael S. » Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm

Hi Mattias,
I also had a great game Monday, thanks! The end game was a nail bitter as I thought about what was the best play for me to try to score a touchdown for a tie. I like the idea of a casual B.B. league. I basically have done this playing B.B. with my friend Gregg, who introduced me to the game back in the 90s. I developed several teams and when we decided to play a game I could just pick from one team and continue to see it develop.
Michael

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri May 26, 2023 8:33 am

I would join in. I'll have to assemble a team to get going.
-Tim

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Fri May 26, 2023 11:02 am

Quite right!

So first league result is:

Syntownne Abbey Manglers (Humans) vs. The Gouged Eye (Orcs)
Result: One-all tie

Here's a copy of my updated roster for my own records. An unfortunate injury for #3 Eberhardt Everhard will put him on the sidelines for next match. But Blitzer #5 Niel Tudorgroyne picked up a touchdown and MVP and rolled a +Agility advancement! A promising start. We look forward to seeing what else he can achieve for the club.
Screenshot 2023-05-26 104515.png

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Fri May 26, 2023 1:52 pm

Hi Tim,
Would you paint up the Blood Bowl Dark Elves you bought from me?
Michael

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Fri May 26, 2023 2:17 pm

That's the intent, I have not done it yet.
-Tim

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:43 pm

Yesterday saw a rematch between the Gouged Eye Orcs (Michael's team) and the Synntownne Abbey Manglers (my human team). It was an exciting match with the Humies managing to steal the ball during the Orcs first drive and score (well done to Blitzer #6 Stuttgart Strangl!!), only to open the second half with the Gouged Eye returning the favor! It was then down to some daring blitzmanship from rising Synntowne Abbey star Neil Tudrogroyne (#5) to force the ball through a nasty scrum to pull ahead. Despite their best efforts and a riot on the pitch, the orcs were not able to equalize in the last few turns of the second half. They did, however, get a few extra hits in, which for them is at least as good as scoring points.

Final score:
Touchdowns: 2-1 to Synntowne Abbey.
Casualties: 3-1 in favor of the Gouged Eye.

MVP for the humans went to Stuttgart Strangl, who then rolled doubles on his skill advancement and took the Dodge Skill! This will make him an incredible asset on the field as having both Block and Dodge (known colloquially in BB as "Blodge") makes a player very hard indeed to knock down. Between Stuttgart (blodge) and Neil (+Agility), the meathead monks look to be developing a robust blitzing core!

Furthermore, the Manglers picked up a handsome 80k in winnings this game, which puts them within spitting distance of hiring an Ogre to anchor their line of scrimmage.

Screenshot 2024-01-23 172854.png

Thanks for another great game, Mike! I'm going to try to have a different team painted up for the next time we play!

MSD

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:09 pm

Hello Mattias,
Thank you for the great game review! After your career in playing Blood Bowl you have potential to be an Old World Blood Bowl announcer. Maybe even better than Jim and Bob:) For my advancement, as you know, I gave the block skill to my Black Orc Blocker. This is always my first advancement I like to give my blockers. Currently I am thinking of using my game winnings to purchase another orc linemen to help fill out my team. Although I am also thinking about saving my 50,000 gold pieces for a Troll player for more muscle on the line of scrimmage.

The Match Record sheet you used looks very nice. Where did you get it?

Thank you for the wonderful game. If you get your other team painted let me know and I will bring another one of my teams to the match. Until then I would be glad to have another match with your Synntownne Abbey Manglers going back against my Gourged Eye orcs.
Michael

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:55 pm

Michael S. wrote:The Match Record sheet you used looks very nice. Where did you get it?

I made it in google sheets. Feel free to make a copy: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lVzkFkQ54l5sVdvTxcK8SuoHM_BfjigT_tUwtbQHh_w/edit?usp=sharing

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:41 am

Hi Mattias,
Thank you. I looked at the Match Record you posted for our May 2023 game and saw that I had 40,000 gp as winnings. I assume I can add this to my take from our last game? I also saw that you posted my TD and casualties. I don’t know which of my players scored these, but can you recommend a way I may add them to my orc team? I thought I had written these down for my players back in May of last year, but I can’t find anything now:( Thank you once again.
Michael

Return to “Let's talk about games!”