Turnip 28

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Turnip 28

Postby Mattias! » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:57 pm

So Karl floated the idea of a Turnip28 campaign at Monday's meeting and I'm afraid I poo-poo'd the idea a bit. However, I've had a look at the rules and I've changed my mind. I think this game looks PRETTY COOL, ACTUALLY.

My hangups were:
1. This game looks napoleonic, and that doesn't really match my interests.

HOWEVER, it isn't actually very napoleonic. It just has some gunpowder units and uses smoke tokens, but you can easily make a regiment without any gunpowder so that you can still use the models you make for Turnip28 to play more generic fantasy games.

2. I didn't have much interest in spending a lot of time and effort making turnip/root vegetable models, and that's the whole point, right?

Wrong, I guess. Most of the models pictured in the rulebook are in fact not modelled to look like root vegetables. They're just kitbashed and grungy, which it turns out is kinda my whole jam.

This means that making units for this game could ultimately contribute to rather than detract from my goal of having a rank n' flank sized fantasy army. (Especially because this game actually has a snail knight unit, which is one of the things I hope to scratchbuild/sculpt for my future fantasy army).

If you don't want a new modelling project (something which I myself am reluctant to take on right now), many of the units could be represented by generic fantasy/medieval models in a pinch.

Some additional points in favor of Turnip28:
1. Rules are free here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Ex0nH0lRqEjNV1QEi7C-aOCGKGa_MKzu?usp=sharing
2. Relatively low model count (more than a typical skirmish, but much less than a battle-scale game--the rules say regiments are roughly 30 models, but it's possible to build a regiment with as few as 15), fast play (1 hour).
3. Strong emphasis on command & control friction, where your characters give orders and hope your units follow them. I think this is an element that makes strong games (and is, in my view, a significant shortcoming in a game like KOW), but it often gets too complex or unclear (like in Fantasy Warriors). The system here looks simple and effective.
4. Strong class consciousness. Characters are supposed to be pompous aristocrats and the game represents this in fun mechanical ways.
5. It's SILLY. I love a bit of silliness in my games.

All that to say I would be interested in giving this game a shot with generic models, and if we decide to try it for a campaign at some point, I might even be willing to model a regiment for the purpose.

What do y'all think?

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Turnip 28

Postby Michael S. » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:43 am

Hi all,
I am definitely interested in playing Turnip28. I already have been bitten by the bug ahhh…..Root. I am currently working on a unit of Fodder for the game. My Regiment is based on French Napoleonic although the game is set 1000 years after the Battle of Austerlitz. Things have not progressed much from that time and the technological level is roughly at a 1812 AD level. I have also built one terrain piece, a vegetable field, and scratch built 5 objective markers. I must admit that building my Regiment has been fairly quick and when my fodder unit is complete my regiment will be done.

Much of the game is inspired by the Blanchitsu aesthetic named for illustrator John Blanche. I also can see the influence of the art of Hieronymous Bosch. The game allows almost anything that goes in modeling the miniatures and terrain for Turnip 28 which I like. Many miniatures are created by mixing Napoleonic with medieval miniatures. I have seen some miniatures based on Japanese samurai and even scratch built from green stuff and miscellaneous parts. Some regiments I have seen online used Frostgrave cultist and zombie bits.

If you want to get more of a feel for the game I would recommend two youtube sites. Just type in ‘Turnip 28 lore’ to get a creepy overview of the game world. The other site I like you can find by typing in ‘Turnip 28, you won’t believe this wargame’. The last site is by a man who appears to be in New Zealand! He has a great take on the game.

Long live the ROOT!
Michael

jlopatin
Karled

Postby jlopatin » Thu Jul 13, 2023 11:49 am

I think that a game about napoleonic pompous aristocratic root veggies sounds like a way to tell some amazing stories.

Mattias, you should GROW your force in your garden. That would be AWESOME.
- Josh

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Fri Jul 14, 2023 9:45 am

jlopatin wrote:I think that a game about napoleonic pompous aristocratic root veggies sounds like a way to tell some amazing stories.

Mattias, you should GROW your force in your garden. That would be AWESOME.

Lol just have to figure out how to grow in 28mm :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:02 pm

Michael S. wrote:My Regiment is based on French Napoleonic although the game is set 1000 years after the Battle of Austerlitz. Things have not progressed much from that time and the technological level is roughly at a 1812 AD level. I have also built one terrain piece, a vegetable field, and scratch built 5 objective markers. I must admit that building my Regiment has been fairly quick and when my fodder unit is complete my regiment will be done.

That's awesome! Yeah, per the Swollen Magglette:
"The world of Turnip28 is stuck in a post-apocalyptic state after a cataclysmic black powder war. To help reinforce this stagnation, we are keeping the technological level to roughly 1812 AD. This means that any period no matter how bizarre is encouraged, as long as it doesn’t exceed too far past the height of the Napoleonic Wars."

Which gets me thinking...Karl, do you still have that empire/bretonnian army lying around? This might be a project I could use them for...

mpc2160
Wild Thing

Postby mpc2160 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 11:41 am

This game looks interesting and I definitely have the miniatures to make a regiment or two from my Cities of Sigmar or Song of Ice & Fire collections. I'd give it a try at some point.

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:12 pm

I'd give it a shot. Looks wacky but interesting. No clue what models I would play, but could come up with something I am sure.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Jul 20, 2023 10:09 pm

Just to sweeten the pot... Free Stuff!

Something I didn't tell you all about earlier: The guy who gave us the WW2 stuff also gave me a box of mostly Medieval Perry miniatures plastic kits. Plenty to share and free for club members.

This means that members who want in will likely have only to buy one Perry Kit (or possibly none at all) to get the bits necessary to make the small force the game requires.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Sun Jul 23, 2023 3:20 pm

Hi Karl,
One thing I am looking for from the Bits Collection is backpacks for my Turnip 29 miniatures. I used up just about all the backpacks I have now. I had a few Napoleonic ones and used some WWII packs that I have from various spruces so I do not need just Napoleonic packs. I also used backpacks from my post-apocalyptic frames. If we have time Monday night I was going to look through the collection for some unless you already know if there are any packs.
Thank you!
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:10 pm

Hey Michael,
I'm sorry I forgot to get mounted figures for you on Monday. How many do you need? I've got 3 boxes of Perry Medieval cav ( I think 2 heavy, one light) which -assuming they are complete- comes to 36 cavalry total.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Return to “Let's talk about games!”