Attachments
IMG_20240422_222154188.jpg

Eilif
Toybasher

Re: Gaming April 22nd, 6:30PM

Postby Eilif » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:40 pm

Dang that's some great stuff.
Thanks so much you guys!

I kind of feel like the Quar should be an official faction in 40k now. Or at least Josh should sculpt up some Quar from a modern or sci-fi setting.
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

JamesWrecks
Basecoated

Postby JamesWrecks » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:06 pm

Quar could reasonably be a proxy of the new League of Votann, which are just Starcraft Space Dwarves. Quar being tough, short and kind of slow with good firepower, makes a lot of sense.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:20 am

JamesWrecks wrote:Quar could reasonably be a proxy of the new League of Votann, which are just Starcraft Space Dwarves. Quar being tough, short and kind of slow with good firepower, makes a lot of sense.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I've in general thought of them as an IG substitute. They might well work as Votaan.

I think the Feudal Guard list with buffs that Mattias used was a very good way to make an unarmored infantry-heavy army feel like that, but still have more effectiveness than just being bottom of the line grunts. What's the 40k equivalent of that? Genestealer cult?
-Karl

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 am

Looks Epic! Wish I could have joined. Looking forward to being at the next game night!

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:29 pm

James and Mattias,
I'm putting the battle report together today. I'm not going to do a point-by-point battle report as the pictures are a bit sporadic, but I'll outline the course of the battle.

No pressure, but if you guys would like to contribute, I'd love to hear your opinions of the game and the rules system. I think you two are coming from interestingly different gaming perspectives and preferences.

Also, Mattias, if you want to do a narrative intro and/or outro I always welcome that.
-Karl

JamesWrecks
Basecoated

Postby JamesWrecks » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:30 pm

Eilif wrote:
JamesWrecks wrote:Quar could reasonably be a proxy of the new League of Votann, which are just Starcraft Space Dwarves. Quar being tough, short and kind of slow with good firepower, makes a lot of sense.

Interesting. I hadn't thought of that. I've in general thought of them as an IG substitute. They might well work as Votaan.

I think the Feudal Guard list with buffs that Mattias used was a very good way to make an unarmored infantry-heavy army feel like that, but still have more effectiveness than just being bottom of the line grunts. What's the 40k equivalent of that? Genestealer cult?

I don't know anything about Quar lore. Are they actually armadillos with the typical rolling into the ball and armor plates, or are they a WW1 style army with tho? I dunno. Did they capture the WW1 troop gameplay? Sure did!

At the end of the day, that's the great thing about OPR is expressing your lore, style or even how you feel about playing that day.

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:28 am

JamesWrecks wrote:
Eilif wrote:

I don't know anything about Quar lore. Are they actually armadillos with the typical rolling into the ball and armor plates, or are they a WW1 style army with tho? I dunno. Did they capture the WW1 troop gameplay? Sure did!

At the end of the day, that's the great thing about OPR is expressing your lore, style or even how you feel about playing that day.

So, they're not Armadillos, they're Anteater-people, but I think even that is probably more specific than their creator would admit too. The setting has a Napoleonic sort of politics and constant warring with WW1'ish technology.

If you want to read some Quar Lore, there's alot of it in the various rulebooks that have been produced. ALl the PDF's at this page are free:
https://zombiesmith.com/quar/rulebooks/pdf/

All that said, you'd have to consult Mattias directly about his Quar to see how much of that fluff he's pulled into his army which -as you saw from the miniatures- is very much its own thing.
-Karl

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Gaming April 22nd, 6:30PM

Postby Mattias! » Fri May 03, 2024 3:00 pm

Yeah, I don't really follow any of the established lore, as my own sci-fi headcannon is very much "out there".

In my imaginary galaxy, the Quar are an extremely doughty people from the Squaim system (we would have been fighting Karl on the arid sands of Squaim II). Much of their pre-galactic history is dominated by a warring states period between their feudal houses, during which they refined a culture of muddy, grinding, pointless conflict. When they were discovered by the Galactic Government of the 1st Magnifex, therefore, they were rapidly incorporated into the galactic armed forces and the main export of Squaim became extremely dogged and hardy regular infantry soldiers. It wasn't long before the Quar became the cornerstone of the military might of of the Magnifex, with the different high houses of Squaim vying with each other for greater military glory.

This means that when galactic civil war sparked off on Tanjar IV in the year 421 A.P.E. (After Perforation of Earth), the Squaimish arm of the galactic military fractured along the lines of their houses. Mostly they were split between the Phreemians (Loyalists of the 5th Magnifex, Wabanxia Phreem), and the Galactic Neo-Statists (who want to reduce the Magnifex to a figurehead. Like, literally—the Neo-statists want to encase Wabanxia Phreem in hypercrystal as an evocative piece of sculpture to decorate the prow of their flagship, the G.S.S. Chromium Fist.)

My specific force represents the 73rd Tanjaran Heavy Assault Brigade under High Commander Quarbelqwek. It is composed of a coalition of houses that broke loyalist during the civil war, and still bears the name in recognition of their part in that conflict (even though Tanjar IV itself is largely now a blasted waste). You can tell they are from Tanjar because they make use of Tanjaran Heavy Hover Tanks, one-of-a-kind creations of the Tankwrights for which the Tanjar system is famous.

hope that answers your question :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Return to “Let's talk about games!”