Introduce yourself

Discuss anything unrelated to gaming...
Michael S.
Final Highlights

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Michael S. » Wed May 10, 2023 9:39 am

Hello Kevin,
Welcome, I am glad you found us. I am in Bolingbrook if you want to get together for a game sometime.I am very familiar with Oak Park, my cousin lives there. If you are looking for stores, there used to be a Gaming Goat game store in Oak Park near the Eisenhower. I don't know if it is still there, the last time I was in the store was about 3 years ago.
You can find a list of games I play here, but in case you do not find them some of the miniatures games I play are Kings of War, Mordheim, Paleo Diet, Songs of Blades and Heroes, Necromunda, Blood Bowl, Fear and Faith and Grimdark Future among others. I also play board games.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Wed May 10, 2023 10:32 am

Hi Kevin,
Welcome to CSW. I'd be happy to have you over for one of our game nights. I usually host the second and 4th Monday nights at my place in Garfield Ridge which isn't too far from Oak Park. The next will be on the 22nd.

I'll put up a topic before each evening where folks can discuss what they want to play. I've got terrain for most settings and folks are welcome to bring their own too.

We do tend toward indie and more fringe games, but there's several games we play where your Orcs could get some action. We're starting a Konflikt '47 Campaign in June and if you're interested, we do have extra armies on hand.

Hope we get to meet you soon!
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

ccprince
Details and Drybrush

Postby ccprince » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:18 pm

Hi!

I stumbled across this site a little while ago, and when I met Karl and Howie at TMX last weekend, well, I had to join in.

I've come to miniatures gaming pretty recently -- someone posted a thing during the pandemic with the thesis, "sure, we're all locked down, but try playing Battletech solo, you might like it." Well, Battletech didn't really stick -- and I so wanted it to -- but I've gotten into other games. Right now, my main game is Freeblades, but I really want to make Space Weirdos a thing, and after playing it at TMX, I'm getting to be a fan of OPR's Grimdark Future. I'm also digging into Heavy Gear: Blitz (gotta get that stompy robot action, somehow) and I'd love to play more Gaslands.

(Yes. I play too many games. And I don't see that stopping, any time soon...)

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:53 pm

Welcome!
Glad you found us!

This coming Monday is the start of us playing K47 which we'll be doing the 2nd Monday of the month into fall.

If you'd like to come by, you're welcome to use our extra American force. You can just hang out and meet us as well but I think you might like K47. There will be Mecha... PM me for address if you want to come by.

The 4th Monday of the month is usually an open play day. Feel free to post here about playing on either of those days or to setup a game some other time and place.

As you've probably seen, we play allot of games. Recently KoW, Grimdark, Mech Attack, Space Weirdos, Space station Zero and a member's homebrew skirmish say have all been on the tables.

As for big stompy robots we all like them. There's been a bit of talk about playing more Alpha Strike recently. We have big 10mm Mech collections and as with K47, plenty to share.

Hope you can join us soon.
-Karl

ccprince
Details and Drybrush

Postby ccprince » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:36 pm

(sigh)

I didn't mean to introduce myself, and then immediately disappear. I'm elbows-deep in a job hunt, so my mental bandwidth is pretty much tapped out for anything else. Once I get that settled, I definitely want to join in the merriment...

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Mon Jun 26, 2023 10:24 am

ccprince wrote:(sigh)

I didn't mean to introduce myself, and then immediately disappear. I'm elbows-deep in a job hunt, so my mental bandwidth is pretty much tapped out for anything else. Once I get that settled, I definitely want to join in the merriment...

No problem at all. We're not going anywhere. Feel free to come by once you get a bit of time and don't feel you have to make some long term commitment to attending if you do.

Best of luck on the job hunt!
-Karl

KalDamarg
Primed

Postby KalDamarg » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:24 am

Hello everybody,

This is going to be weird because I’m not from Chicago. I’m trying to sell you the latest pair of sunglasses. Just kidding, I’m Danny, and I am currently in Southern California. I work in education and I have already taken the steps to try and acquaint myself with the district to make the move over as soon as my contract is over! I read a ton of Black Library, collect Metal vinyl, root for the sad Toronto Maple Leafs, and have taken a liking towards F1 due to Drive to Survive.

I know it’s going to be about a year but with how education goes and the long drive, all within a short amount of time, I want to take a look and see what everybody plays.

I have dove back into miniature gaming through the second edition of 30k and with Adepticon and GenCon being so close, I’m taking a liking towards Infinity again (haven’t played since N2). Are those games played in the area? If not, may just need to save some space and get rid of them.

Here’s to hoping everything falls into place and I get some games in once the move is done! Any tips on education, locations, would be greatly appreciated! Making another trip in October to look at new areas with my partner and I. She has her eyes on the Budlong Woods, Logan Square area this time around.

Thanks for the acceptance!

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:25 am

Hi Kal,
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your future move to the greatest city in the USA.

As for 30k and Infinity, I'm not sure how much uptake there is in this group specifically, but I think we do have players who dabble in both of those. Additionally I'm sure there's groups playing them more seriously in the Chicago area which is a pretty rich ground for wargaming.

As a club we generally gravitate toward the sort of lesser-known and indie games that you see on the blog Konflikt 47, Grimdark Future (bring those 30k figures!)a, Kings of War, Space Wierdos and other fantasy and Sci-fi Skimish games, especially those that are miniatures agnostic (good use for your infinity figs....). Feel free to stop in when you make your move as we try to always have enough armies/forces to share with those who might not have figs for a given game. Also, the second meeting of the month is usually open to whatever people want to play folks are also often at side tables playing games other than the main game of the evening.

We meet the 2nd and 4h Mondays of the month, usually at my place in Garfield Ridge.

If you're looking at Budlong as a neighborhood, you're not that far from Chicagoland Games/Dice Dojo. They have alot of gaming and alot of groups. Right next to Lincoln square also which has alot of walkable shopping, dining, parks, etc.

Logan Square is a nice neighborhood to be sure as well. Prisim games is up there and they do GW, but I've not actually stopped in. A couple nice used/toy shops too.

I definitely recommend attempting to align your location with public transportation and/or accessibility towards your workplace. Do you know what school you may end up at? Wouldn't necessarily want to move to a north side location if you end up working in Kenwood or Pullman on the south side. Some neighborhoods have much better public transit options than others.

Lastly, I've got alot of friends who work for CPS. If you're looking at a particular school and would like an inside scoop, send me a PM and I might be able to help.
-Karl

KalDamarg
Primed

Postby KalDamarg » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:16 pm

Thank you for the thorough response! I played a couple of games of Kings of War when the game first came out! I thought the rules and the stats were incredibly streamlined. It made for a great experience, but I was only able to play with the Mantic "rep." Having not played WFB probably helped in how fresh everything appeared to be! I think I was a little too early, because the group blew up after I stopped playing.

I plan on teaching in Secondary Education in the North/Northwest area, hence the interest in Budlong and Logan Square. However, I am not limited to those locations. I am also taking into heavy consideration the availability of public transportation. I would like to take advantage of that as much as possible. I don't plan on bringing California's reliance on an individual vehicle with me when Chicago has great public transit. I would certainly be open to teaching in other areas of the city as well despite all I am constantly told by those never having stepped in Chicago or a classroom.

I am going to be meeting with a CPS rep soon, but I am totally open to any and all additional sources of information. I will be shoot over a PM! I am currently trying to gather all the information I possibly can to make sure that what I am capable of providing to a classroom is thoroughly expressed in interviews and such.

Thank you!

PS: I will be visiting again in October. I hope to be able to pop into one of those stores mentioned! I love seeing what FLGS have in stock. Sometimes there are nice little rarities.

Nostromo218
Primed

Postby Nostromo218 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:47 am

Hello everyone,

I'm James, I live in Jefferson Park and I'm here looking to Turnip...28.
A guy on the turnip 28 discord sent me here.

I've played a little bit of 40K, but ever other time I've tried to play, the rules have changed. (3 times now I think.)
I would also love to learn and play Battle Tech classic.

I've played a bunch of X-wing and picked up Snap Ships, don't know if those are quite in the wheel house here though. But if there are, and if anyone here is familiar with Crimson Skies or Atherstream Interceptor, I'd like to talk to you.

Thank you for letting me in....

James

Return to “Non-Gaming talk”