Kings of War Finale. Thanks for all the fish!

Anything gaming related is fair game.
Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Re: Kings of War Finale. March 13th!

Postby Mattias! » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:21 pm

Michael S. wrote:Hey Karl,
Just throwing out some ideas. If four of us play on Monday should one player be in the fortification and have the others attempt to take the ‘fort’? Three players going against another one in a fortified position may work. If we go this route should the person in the ‘fort’ be the one with the highest standings in the campaign? I know we have not discussed that for some time. We may need to see where everyone is in the standings. I thought I was in last position the last we checked and everyone else was sort of even.

I thought Mike had taken one of the towns on the campaign map. Should he be the one defending it? I will review the siege rules and see if we get some idea on how we should do this from them.
Michael

I don't have the KOW siege rules, but per the mantic website here (https://www.manticgames.com/news/siege-the-day-its-going-to-be-legendary-kings-of-war/), these seem to be the guidelines:

When playing a game of Kings of War Siege, one player will be the Attacker (assaulting the castle) and the other will be the Defender (defending the castle).

•The Attacker may spend (up to) an extra 25% of their total points value on Offensive Siege Equipment and extra units. For example, a 2000 point army would be able to increase its total value to 2500. However the extra 500 points must be chosen from the Offensive Siege Equipment and extra units lists.

•The Defender chooses an army list up to the points limit agreed by both players, which may contain items from the Defensive Siege Equipment list. The total amount spent by the Defender on these upgrades cannot exceed 25% of the agreed limit. Therefore in a 2000 point game, the Defender may choose up to 500 points worth of equipment as part of their 2000 point limit.

Given that, I think a 2v2 following these force selection rules will probably be more balanced than a 3v1.

They also suggest two different map setups:
Screenshot 2023-03-09 151838.png
Screenshot 2023-03-09 151838.png (244.25 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

Screenshot 2023-03-09 151937.png
Screenshot 2023-03-09 151937.png (243.01 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

While the box castle can accommodate either, I think the second one would make for a cooler siege. Up to y'all though, you're the ones playing the game!

timlillig
Huemaster

Postby timlillig » Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:24 pm

Catching up on a few days --

I have some siege equipment. I also have the club castle and some trench-like fortifications I made a while back. i should be able to play on Monday, but its a bit up in the air. if not, i can probably drop some stuff off with Karl on Sunday.

I'm not familiar or prepared for any of the skirmish games mentioned, but I'll play whatever.

I do not run the Discord, Chris does. I'm happy to help if any is needed, i've been running my RPG discord for a couple years.
-Tim

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:52 am

Mattias,
Do you have an aproximate footprint for your castle? I'm thinking that it may be good to set it up in the middle of the table and run it sort of like two sides of the top pictured setup. An attacker and defender on each side.

Michael,
I'm not sure about the standings. I won the last game against Jon, but just barely.

Everyone. I'm not sure about force size. I like the idea of something massive. If we do strictly attacker outside and defender inside, we should probably pull back our forces to about 1500 points each before adding the various Siege related upgrades.

If we want to add some more points, the Defenders could each be given an ambush/reinforcement force to be brought in from the side of their choosing at a later turn. That might over-complicate things though since we'll already be playing with some new rules.

Thoughts??
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:03 am

Eilif wrote:Do you have an aproximate footprint for your castle? I'm thinking that it may be good to set it up in the middle of the table and run it sort of like two sides of the top pictured setup. An attacker and defender on each side.

The footprint is pretty variable. I'm sure we could figure out how to set it up to suit our needs.

Jackswift
Scratchbuilder

Postby Jackswift » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:19 pm

Not a ton of siege equipment, but I'll see what a have. Likely something to use as a ram at a minimum.

We can use the model I normally use as a Hellfane as a Siege Tower instead. It was built as a Siege Giant originally as it is.

Have some Bolt Thrower models that can be used by the defender as well.

What is specifically listed on the siege equipment list? Don't think that is in the primary rulebook, but will look for it.

Michael S.
Final Highlights

Postby Michael S. » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:14 pm

Hi all,
I have an orc catapult that I can bring Monday if needed.

Having 2 against 2 is fine. I was saying 1 against 3 because the defender would be fighting from the castle and this normally provides a great advantage over the attacker.

Running one wall across the board would be good.

Providing the defender an ambush unit that would come in later in the game would make things more complicated. We should maybe include it another time after we master the siege rules.
Michael

Eilif
Toybasher

Postby Eilif » Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:15 pm

The rules make some good ways to even things up for the attacker.

I agree that adding ambush units would over complicate things. Let's each show up with 1500 points of regular army and we can add siege features and machines to that. I've got 3 trebuchet that I or someone else can use.

We might want to get started a little earlier to setup and such. If I open the doors at 6, what's the earliest you all can show up?

One last thing. I've currently got the table setup for 4x6. Does that seem large enough or should I expand it to 4x8 (easy to do) to make more room?
-Karl
Chicago Skirmish Wargames Organizer

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:29 pm

Whoa, catching up on a few days as well:

I added some Mod roles/permissions to Karl and Tim on Discord, so you guys should be able to send out invites now as well.
I added Mattias as a friend so I can invite him as well if he gets it.

I had a open link to join for a while, but we started to get a string of some new people (lurkers?) that don't seem to identify themselves. :) So I thought I should limit that link a bit.

I should be free to stop by tomorrow to hang and watch the finale. I'm in the same boat as Terrence, too much Adepticon prep making my brain mush - I probably wouldn't be an asset on the gaming side, but I can support setup or take pics or hobby.

gattz
Final Highlights

Postby gattz » Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:14 pm

I've also got a Reaper Bones 28mm catapult and trebuchet. I'll slap some colors and a wash on them tonight and bring them if anyone wants to use them.

Mattias!
Lord of the Wyrdwold

Postby Mattias! » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:36 am

gattz wrote:I added some Mod roles/permissions to Karl and Tim on Discord, so you guys should be able to send out invites now as well.
I added Mattias as a friend so I can invite him as well if he gets it.

Got it and accepted, thanks!

gattz wrote:I should be free to stop by tomorrow to hang and watch the finale. I'm in the same boat as Terrence, too much Adepticon prep making my brain mush - I probably wouldn't be an asset on the gaming side, but I can support setup or take pics or hobby.

I'm also not really playing KOW, but I'm planning to bring a few models to play Brawl Arcane if you'd like to try that out.

The castle, btw, is finished at last. Here are some pictures so you can get an idea of the footprint when it's set out:

IMG_20230312_222158800.jpg

IMG_20230312_222333297.jpg

IMG_20230312_222140109.jpg

IMG_20230312_222212272.jpg

Return to “Let's talk about games!”